cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIXED:- VM customer thinking of switching, has a query about the plus net router

timmytoad
Grafter

FIXED:- VM customer thinking of switching, has a query about the plus net router

Hi all, i am seriously considering switching to plus net from VirginMedia, the VM router i have is [Censored] speed at LAN, the equipment i have is capable of 1gig, is the Plus Net router anywhere near as fast as this, do plus net customers get the same router no matter what package they are on. finally can the router be turned off easily, so that it is ONLY a Modem and i could then, as a last resort, plug in my own 1gig LAN router.
tim
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: VM customer thinking of switching, has a query about the plus net router

To be honest I would buy your own as the Plusnet router is notoriously flaky if you want to do anything out of the ordinary and it doesn't support 1Gbit LAN
timmytoad
Grafter

Ok buddy thanks, fair comment, so is it possible to disable completely the Router from the Modem  ????? I do have a 1gig LAN Wireless Router !
tim
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I believe that you need to put the 1gb LAN router into bridge mode to accept the RJ45 or wireless output from the Thompson and that is down to whether the 1gb LAN router will do that
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Another gigabit ADSL modem/router thread (sort of)  Cry
There are very few of these and they are not cheap.
And NO-ONE in the UK supplies Gigabit broadband.
In fact how many go faster than the ancient 10mbit standard, let alone 100mbit.....
The simple, cheap and obvious solution is to add a gigabit switch (£15?) for your local network to a standard ADSL modem/router.
Job done. Simples.  Cheesy
whelpton
Grafter

Quote from: timmytoad
Is it possible to disable completely the Router from the Modem

Yes, you can disable the wireless access point in the router so it is no longer broadcasting & use your own router in a bridge mode setup for the actual routing.
If you are switching from a VM cable connection, then you will need a Adsl compatable router to connect to our network.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

HPsauce's suggestion is the best way to go. E.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/132467-tenda-8-port-metal-gigabit-switch-great-price-teg1008
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
timmytoad
Grafter

oop's, i hadn't noticed i had got replies on my query in this post !, i started a very similar post LOL.
one way or another, i should be able to sort it out LOL.
tim