cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**[FIXED]** Serious ADSL speed issues for the last 5 months **[FIXED]**

Lemmiwinks
Grafter

**[FIXED]** Serious ADSL speed issues for the last 5 months **[FIXED]**

This issue has now been resolved, but for people Googling a similar situation I'll do a run down of what happened. I began to experience a massive drop in throughput (download) speed, which meant my 8MB (7.15MB IP Profile) speed would drop to under 2MB. When this happened, I would not lose sync and my router stats did not fluctuate, it was almost as if my throughput speed was being throttled (which it wasn't, ever). Re-syncing/Rebooting the router would bring my speed back up to 7MB. Over the period of 4 months, the time between my speed dropping would go from a week at full speed, to a few days (without rebooting/resyncing), to a matter of hours and eventually until I was literally stuck at below 2MB with a doubled ping (the entirety of the time still showing a sync of 8MB, along with a 7.14MB IP Profile). I had 6 engineer visits and only on the 6th one did the engineer admit a fault at the exchange. My line showed no faults, no errors on the broadband side, no sign of REIN and happened no matter what equipment I used or wherever it was plugged in. I had a new line installed, new master-socket, new faceplate, new pair at the green box  and a REIN engineer. On top of that: two BT Openreach engineers advised me on numerous occassions that the issue most definitely lay with my ISP (Orange at the time) and I should switch, which I did. Even after all that and switching ISP, I still had the same problem. In the end, a BT Openreach engineer took a PlusNet router along with my log in details to the exchange and tested the connection from there, which he contacted to me to say he had the exact same issue and a TPM (tie-pair modification) was issued, fixing my problem after 5 months.
ORIGINAL POST---------------------------------------------------------------------
I realise I'm only 3 days into my 10-day training period, but hear me out.
I've just moved from Orange because of this issue and was allowed out of my 12-month contract because they could not fix it. Here's my problem (which has not changed since moving to Plus.net last week);
My sync down is 8128, up 448 giving me an IP profile of 7.15mb. Yet I'm stuck at around 2mb download and have been now for close to 5 weeks. This problem started in June, where my sync rate was around 7500, up 448 and my download speed was around 7mb. In June (the 3rd to be precise) I contacted Orange because I noticed my download speed would drop to below 2mb until I re-synced the router, where I would get my full speed again. The speed would remain for a week or so before dropping. When the speed dropped, I would experience no loss of sync (so I could be playing a game and not notice). Over the course of the last few months, the time taken between re-syncing the router and the speed dropping reach into the few hours. This is the troubleshooting that has been done over the course of the last few months;
Router has always been connected to master socket. I do not use the landline phone.
3 routers tested - Livebox + 2x TP-Link TD-W8960N
Ethernet + Wifi with multiple devices
5 Microfilters tested
4 engineer visits showing the line is okay, 4th visit replaced my line and put onto new pair. 3rd visit is when my speed got stuck at 2mb.
I was told by BT this was an issue with Orange, yet it clearly isn't as nothing has changed since switching over to you guys. I've been through 3 training periods with Orange with absolutely no change to my download speed. I can leave my router on for 10 days at a time with no change. My sync rate is always a very high 8128 and 448 upstream. I get the 448 upstream, but capped at a 2mb download.
Here are my current router stats which I've attached below. I've actually plugged my router into one of the extensions upstairs (for the very first time) and it has dropped my SNR to 10 from around 12. My SNR used to be 6 back when I had no speed issues.
I've read similar situations with other people and it turns out something was stuck at the BT exchange and I feel it should be a very simple fix, yet no-one seems to be able to look into it. It's honestly driving me up the wall.
Thanks for any help.
112 REPLIES 112
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Serious ADSL speed issues for the last 4 months

You might not get a PN Techie to reply today. Tomorrow is a normal working day. They should be able to check if the line is capped and get it removed if it's possible.
Do you disconnect the router frequently?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you check a few things
What does the BT speedtester give http://speedtester.bt.com/  Full result please
What does this give as the current Line Speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
If you put your exchange/telephone number in here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ does it say anything about WBC on 21CN
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

The router only drops when I restart it, which I do not do frequently. Like I said previously, I needed to restart it every few days to get my full speed again. My IP profile has never dropped, ever. In fact, my sync speed is better than what it was when my connection was fine back in May.
Oldjim, I've attached screenshots of what you've asked for. I realise by looking at these it would appear the problem lies on my end, but I assure you I've done every bit of trouble shooting from this end I can. Like I said, I've had 4 engineer visits and a line-change. It doesn't matter what router I use or how I connect to it, I can not get above 2mb download. My upload never changes. My ping has risen from 35m/s to 50m/s over the last 2 months.
adie:green edited attachment to remove full phone number.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How do you connect to the router, wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Wired. Although right now I have the router plugged into the extension to see if it could have been a problem with REIN down at the master socket. No difference though. Although, before my 3rd/4th engineer visit, plugging my router into the extension sockets dropped my sync speed to 5.5mb, which is why I've always had it plugged into the master socket, because the speed difference was pretty bad. However, since that 3rd/4th engineer visit, my extension syncs my router at 8128 also, except the "attainable rate" drops by 1mb or so.
Really bizarre.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given those results my guess is that there is a profile mismatch between the two BT systems.
The Digital Care Team will be able to check that on Monday.
Pity about 21CN as that would really have increased your speeds
Please edit the picture from the Plusnet speed to remove your telephone number
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Given those results my guess is that there is a profile mismatch between the two BT systems.

This is pretty much what I have been having trouble putting into words. Shame it's taken Orange 14 weeks to try and solve. Honestly, some of the worst customer service I've ever had and £64's worth of phonecalls with no resolve and my connection worse than when it started. It really does seem like a simple fix that has been overlooked.
Anyway, I hope you're right Oldjim and thanks for the help!  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Lemmiwinks,
I've checked your both of your profiles and they are set correctly. It does seem a strange one.
We can't raise this as a fault as you are in your 10 day training period. But if this is still the same, which it looks like could be the case then it would need a fault raising so we can look into this. I would be happy to help you in getting this resolved and being your point of contact if needed.
Let me know how your speeds are going.
Chris
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Thanks for your reply Chris and I realise the situation with the 10-day training period. But is there anything you could do right now such as a profile reset? My sync is suspiciously high, about 1mb higher than when I had no issues back in May, and 3mb higher when connected to an extension. If you can't do anything right now I understand but I've been stuck at 2mb now for at least two months, watching YouTube is impossible.
Thanks
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

As your line is training itself it is not possible to reset your line, it would just get rejected if I placed it.
I know it must be frustrating but unfortunately we need to wait for the 10 day period. I'll be happy to look at it when this has passed.
Chris
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Just for my own record:
3 days of router uptime with no disconnects, still less than 2mb download. Moved router back to master socket (all extensions disconnected). Stats;
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

So, day 10 of my training period and still stuck at less than 2mb. My ping is still atrocious (compared to before June). Originally I was no more than 32-35ms. Now I'm locked at 50m/s and fluctuates badly. This has to be faulty equipment at the exchange, right? I've had 4 routers, switched to ethernet to prove it wasn't wireless interferance, multiple devices including iPhones desktops and laptops, countless filters, 2 different internet cables, always connected to master socket, no extensions ever plugged in, master socket replaced with Openreach filter, new line to house, new pair, 4 engineer visits. Openreach was 100% positive the problem was Orange but nothing has changed switching to Plus.net. My connection is at the absolute max with sync speeds (which it wasn't before the issues) which seems extremely strange to me: this was before the line change too! My sync and IP profile really shouldn't be that high (as much as I'd like it to be). When I had no issues I'd sync at around 7.5mb (sometimes higher, sometimes lower) at the master socket with extensions unplugged. With extensions plugged in and the router moved upstairs (for better wireless signal) I'd sync at no more than 5.5mb, which was too low at the time so I bought better antennas and moved it down to the master socket when they arrived. Now, I sync at 8128 no matter what or where it's plugged in (for testing purposes). Something very, very odd is going on.
My broadband actually went down tonight, although my router still showed as synced. I had no internet connection for around 10 minutes, even after a power cycle.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Put your attenuation (which is 35dB) into the calculator here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and you will see how high your sync rate and IP Profile should be on a good line.  That may not be what you are used to getting but that is what it should be.
Quote from: Lemmiwinks
always connected to master socket, no extensions ever plugged in, master socket replaced with Openreach filter

Not according to previous posts you're not.  In fact if the master socket is fitted with an Openreach filter you have no option but to use the master socket.  So why say
I've actually plugged my router into one of the extensions upstairs (for the very first time) and it has dropped my SNR to 10 from around 12.

Moved router back to master socket (all extensions disconnected).

Just your extension wiring can sometimes cause problems.  If you can connect your router to the extension sockets and it works then your extensions are not wired correctly because you are somehow bypassing the filter that was fitted on your master socket.  I bet that is the true cause of your problems!
Edit: Just to be crystal clear, when you remove the faceplate from your master socket to reveal the test socket behind it, that should disconnect your extension sockets.  So they should be dead (no dial tone) if you plug in a telephone and a router connected to an extension socket should not sync.  If your extension sockets still work when the faceplate is not removed then they are not wired correctly.  Even if nothing is connected the wiring can act like a radio aerial and pick up sufficient radio frequency electrical interference to severely degrade you broadband performance.
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

You've misunderstood or I haven't been clear enough (probably the latter, 16 weeks of this after all!):
When I moved into the flat (2nd floor), the wireless signal was bad down at the master socket (1st floor) so I had the router plugged in upstairs for a week or so and ordered a better router with higher rated antennas. This is when I first signed up with Orange in January.
When the new router and antennas arrived, I disconnected the faceplate from the master socket and plugged the router directly into the test socket. Extensions did not work, broadband worked perfectly until I reported a problem to Orange on the 3rd of June.
My 2nd engineer visit (in July) involved the engineer fitting a new filtered faceplate, which made no difference. It is removable and needs to be removed to re-fit the original faceplate with the extensions and I did so when I tested the connection upstairs again to see the difference in sync from the first week or so my broadband was active with Orange.
Right now the filtered faceplate is removed and I have a normal microfilter plugged into the test socket. The exact way it was from week 2 to June with Orange and I had absolutely no problems. So, the issue is not internal wiring. The extensions have only ever been connected twice, the first week of broaband because of wireless signal issues and then nearly 2 months after I experienced my speed issues to compare sync speeds again.
I've attatched the max speed calculator screenshot you asked me to do. The results on that are the exact figures (give or take a few 100kb when syncing again) that I was receiving before my speed issues, ie: around 7.5mb connection with 6.5mb IP Profile. Just for the sake of checking how accurate the tool is, I also put in the attenuation I would receive when the router was plugged into the extension upstairs: 5mb IP Profile, consistent with what I had when I had no speed issues. Now I get 8mb no matter what. I don't know anything about equipment at an exchange, but in my opinion something was and now has failed that regulated my speed.