cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FFTC & ADSL2+

walkerx
Dabbler

FFTC & ADSL2+

The other week bt checker were showing that ADSL2+ would be available in our area soon, as well as showing FFTC with speeds of 22mb download. Since then both ADSL2+ and FFTC information has disappeared.
Our exchange is supposed to be ADSL2+ activated on 31/03/2010 and on checking some checkers it says it's already activated, so how can I tell if ADSL2+ is already activated on our exchange.
Also will Plusnet be using the DigitalRegion network to offer highspeed broadband to consumers, as where I lift the maximum speeds under ADSL or ADSL2+ is 2mb, yet using Fibre (our cabinets are already done both BT's and DR's) I should obtain speeds of 22mb or higher as only 470ft from the cabinet.
I left force9 a while back and moved to BT which I've since regretted but I'm now looking at a provider that can supply me using FFTC so I can finally get a decent broadband speed.
So what is the likely hood of PN using either the DR network or the BT fibre network within Barnsley
5 REPLIES 5
scootie
Grafter

Re: FFTC & ADSL2+

bt fibre yes, there is all ready a trail going on for certain customers on exchanges BTw are trailing fftc
http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/06/12/plusnet-to-trial-fibre-to-the-cabinet-fttc/
walkerx
Dabbler

those trials are down south and not in south yorkshire
the intial trials in south yorkshire have already been done - BT were advertising on their Infinity site I could get the service soon, but this no longer shows, but on the wholesale broadband checker it states it's available, the same as ADSL2+
DR which a consortium of Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley councils have been laying fibre and in some areas it is supposed to be available from 31/03 yet currently know one knows of any ISP that has signed up, nor when a consumer can expect the service.
I'm hoping that PN are one of the ISP's that do sign up and have the service operational quite quickly as I'm eager to get on it, as sick of poor speeds on ADSL.
My only concern is that I've heard rumours that if you can't get 15mb on ADSL2+ BT aren't allowing the customers to use the fibre network even if they can obtain a lot higher speeds
scootie
Grafter

My only concern is that I've heard rumours that if you can't get 15mb on ADSL2+ BT aren't allowing the customers to use the fibre network even if they can obtain a lot higher speeds

is that on the trail or as a fhinshed product?
either way think am safe to say thats aload of rubish.
it would be nice to see PN use the DR network as there a yorkshire based isp, but i still dont think they will. i think PN will be using the BTw fttc product to offer there fibre service to yorkshire when its sold as a product instead of having to run a new backbone network along side the BTw fttc
walkerx
Dabbler

well that's the problem as BT are so slow in getting south yorkshire up to speed on everything, as you can see from the following, it shows the available services, yet according to bt website only adsl is available
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 22 Mbps and upstream line speed of 9 Mbps.

And with BT constantly changing information about exchanges when they are being activated/upgraded just adds confusion to the matter
matt_2k34
Grafter

AFAIK - its 15meg on the FTTC Product, regardless of what you can get on ADSL2.