cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEATURE REQUEST: change to Pro-Addon priorities

Anonymous
Not applicable

FEATURE REQUEST: change to Pro-Addon priorities

I am on 6.6Mbps ADSL, which used to be OK until Plusnet removed the traffic prioritization on 1st July 2017.

Since then I have been REALLY struggling to keep all the members of my household happy, because it only takes one person to start streaming video or doing a Steam update, and everyone else might as well give up doing anything (including just casual web browsing).

Prior to the traffic prioritization being removed, we had had about 13 years of each being able to use the internet how we wanted, without impacting on anyone else in the household.

A week ago I was so desperate for any improvement, that I had the Pro Addon enabled.

I was doubtful as to whether the Pro Addon would actually help at all, because I understand what it does and how that applies to my pattern of traffic usage, but it was my only hope.

With the Pro Addon enabled, looking at my ThinkBroadband latency graphs, the extent of packet loss and very high latency when under load, has visibly reduced but is still bad (compared to how it was with full prioritization), and also casual web browsing is now tolerable when somebody else is streaming video.

My problem now is that when doing a Steam update (which can take hours on ADSL), anyone else doing web browsing, or even downloading emails !, still has a very hard time trying to achieve anything useful.

So my feature request, is - can Plusnet reduce the traffic priority of Steam updates in the Pro Addon ?

OR put back the full traffic prioritization - at least for customers on ADSL - because it used to work perfectly.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: change to Pro-Addon priorities

It isn't any better on fibre (about 42Mb/s speed test result) as it saturates my line as shown by the TBB Monitor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: change to Pro-Addon priorities

Yes, I saw the graph you posted somewhere the other day.  Mine looks like that, but worse.

It is definitely a multi-threaded downstream saturation problem - of which Steam is a good example.

I have checked my router upload bandwidth for saturation during a Steam download, and I'm seeing an upstream rate of about 26Kbps - so nowhere near to overloading my upstream path or hitting my upstream QoS limits.