Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow upload speed 0.02 Mbps

Lythers
Hooked

Extremely slow upload speed 0.02 Mbps

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Im on ADSL, get about 6Mbps and ok upload most of the time (fibre isn't an option in my road currently).

I've had line problems in the past, but this is a new one. No crackles on phone line etc. I've tried a replacement filter, a new cable to the router, a different router (the original tg582n) , but I'm still getting 0.02Mbps upload according to speed test. After approx 10seconds upload speed picks up to about 0.3Mbps. Download speed is still6Mbps.

Internet is extremely slow, and we're struggling to stream anything on YouTube or Amazon prime.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11
Lythers
Hooked

Re: Extremely slow upload speed 0.02 Mbps

Ps I should have said, my router is plugged in to the master socket
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Lythers,

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing this issue. I've tested your line today and I can see that you are currently receiving a downstream sync speed of 7.8Mbps and an upstream sync speed of 0.8Mbps to the property and the testing run is unable to detect any external faults along the line. As this is the case I would like to ask that you connect the router into the test socket located beneath the faceplate of your master socket to rule out the fault being located internally. You can do this by following this guide.

Once you're connected to the test socket please run another wired speedtest from your end of things and let us know whether or not the speeds improve so that we can investigate further if needs be.

Also, as a side-note for future reference, if there's any information that you leave out of your original post that you would like to add in after posting it, you can always edit the post by clicking on "Post Options" at the top right hand corner of your post and then clicking on "Edit Post". I only add this because adding further posts in these threads can sometimes delay us seeing them from our end of things and editing a post will not have the same effect. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Lythers
Hooked

Sorry, I should have said, I've plugged in to the test socket with the same result. @TheMightyAJ
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

I have ran some checks from our side, and I can see an upload speed of 886Kbps. I have tweaked the SNR on your line, as this was set a little too low, so please can you restart your router and let us know how it goes.

Lythers
Hooked

@deank thanks for looking in to this. It's a bit better, but I'm still getting multiple occasions with a slow response when loading web pages or video streaming starts buffering.
Lythers
Hooked

Correction, it's now very slow again with multiple timeouts. Is there any traffic management / congestion at the local exchange?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, just to double check have you been connected over a cabled or a WiFi connection when you've noticed these issues? - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lythers
Hooked

Both I'm afraid. Most of my house is wired (ethernet not power plugs) apart from a few portable devices (phones etc)
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Lythers, thanks for getting in touch.

Looking at you connection we can see it has been dropping more than we would expect which could be affecting the speeds.

I've run a test and it looks like the signal strength for your line is set too low which could explain the issue with the drops and speed.

I have placed an order to up your signal strength which should complete in the next hour.

If the drops and speed issue continue to occur, we would need to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket, and seeing if the drops stop.

This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Lythers
Hooked

@SammyM I've used the test socket and I still have the same issue. Thanks for trying a better signal strength
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Lythers

Sorry to hear that.

If it's still the case, then please can you raise a fault here and let us know when you have done this. 

Thanks, 

MoR