cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow speeds in the evening.

NiM
Grafter

Extremely slow speeds in the evening.

I'm suffering with massive speed drops/lag from about 4pm onwards, far more than I expect (and am used to) from normal contention. Not sure if there's a capacity problem, or something else amiss.  Has been like this for a week or more now. Typically, I used to get fairly solid 5-6 Mbps, even on peak, but it's now regularly dropping to as low as 1.5Mbps.
The router is syncing at the correct speed afaik (and is stable). I've tried reconnecting a few times to see if that improved the situation (it didn't). Have done the usual filter change/test socket stuff and checked there's nothing burning bandwidth at my end. Any help/advice would be appreciated, as it's having a noticable impact when gaming/surfing.
A sample of the variation. (The BT speedtester refuses to work, always hangs on user details for some reason)

<--  daytime speeds at present / what I'm used to getting.
Router stats:
                       Down     Up
Data Rate (kbps)       7616        448
Noise Margin (dB)      9.0     22.0
Attenuation (dB)         8.2         4.0
Output power(dbm)    11.8        11.9
dick:green Image tags added.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Extremely slow speeds in the evening.

Hi NiM,
I've just run some basic checks on your account/line and can't see anything obvious. I'd advise running speed tests on http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ before going back and completing the fault checker (I can see not all the steps were completed).
Obviously the best ploy might be to do this when the problem is evident.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NiM
Grafter

Bumping this, as I'm still having the same issue, speed and ping all over the place.
I've finally managed to get some BT speedtester results in, as the site seems to work now.
Plusnet portal took around a minute to load.

Full page of results: http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=2fc331e6835574581651a62edd889ef7&ria=0
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that is not the BT speedtester , do the link that Adam gave and post the results
NiM
Grafter

Apologies for any confusion. As I noted, I have run the BT speedtester (as well as speedtest), I assume PN can view the results. I simply linked the speedtest results, as they're what I used as a point of reference originally, and give a far more accurate picture of the problem (no hour long cool down, no 10+ minute delay in tests initiating).
The BT results have been broadly similar to the speedtest.net results (of a similar time frame), however, due to the delay in BT tests commencing (if it doesn't just hang), i've had a hard time matching it to periods of severe performance drops, so i'm not entirely convinced they're as representative.
dick:quote
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi NiM,
I can see you've gone through the troubleshooter a couple of times, but each time it's closed unfortunately because the remaining questions weren't completed within 48 hours. If you're able to please run through it as this gives our faults agents the information they need to raise the fault, if not the best thing to do would be to call our support centre who'll be able to complete it for you - 08004320200. Once the ticket's with our faults team we'll get it investigated as soon as we can.
Hope that helps.
Moncrieffe500
Grafter

[Deleted]