Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow speed, and little enthusiasm from plusnet to solve it

jamesrea83
Dabbler

Extremely slow speed, and little enthusiasm from plusnet to solve it

Hi All,

I've decided to post here as I'm getting nowhere waiting days at a time for plusnet to get back to me. We joined plusnet 4 weeks ago after moving house, and since then we haven't seen speeds over 0.3MBps.

They've tested the line countless times, and we've even had an engineer out (which I took a day off work for), and he couldn't find anything wrong. The socket is putting out 3.5MBps, which I'd be delighted to have access to.

However, even when I wire my desktop to the plusnet router, we get horrendously slow speeds. I'm suspecting something is wrong with the router, but actually talking to the plusnet faults team seems to be a fairytale. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it my router? The broadband light does seem to flicker a lot.

It's been a month now and we are beyond frustrated!! Really unhappy with the complete lack of urgency plusnet are showing our problem.

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Extremely slow speed, and little enthusiasm from plusnet to solve it

What speeds does the DSL checker say you should expect?

jamesrea83
Dabbler

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 0.75 -- 0.75 to 2 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having speed problems.

As expected from your post, testing your line isn't showing any issues. It's likely we may need to arrange another engineer visit to further investigate. However, as we haven't tried replacing the router yet, I'll get another one sent to you.

Can you let us know how it goes when you receive it?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamesrea83
Dabbler

Hi,

We haven't received a replacement yet- did you send it to our current address? Or our old address we no longer have access to?!

Thanks

jamesrea83
Dabbler

Quick update in case anyone cares. 

As I'm sure no-one will be shocked to find out, they did indeed send the replacement router to the wrong address. So after waiting on hold for the 20th time to find out, another router is apparently on the way.

So now we have to wait another week, for a router which may or may not even be the problem, and see what happens because tech support don't really seem to know. Or care.

This will take us nicely up to 5 weeks without the service we were promised. Unsurprisingly we're still being billed full price for the first month.

Seriously, if you're reading this and you're not yet signed up with plusnet- run. Just run. Don't even think about it. If you have a problem and slip between the cracks, it will be entirely up to you to sort it out. Getting anything out of this company is a pure uphill battle.

jamesrea83
Dabbler

We've received the new router, but the problem hasn't gone away!

We really need some help solving this, it's driving us mad. If the line is working, the socket is working and the router is brand new, why are we getting such desperately slow speeds to our devices?

Plusnet can you please try and work through this with us, we're at our wits end here.