Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow ADSL broadband speed.

Donna79
Dabbler

Extremely slow ADSL broadband speed.

Hi all,

My service has been live now for just over 14 days. The internet speed with my Plusnet broadband is very slow. I am unable to watch BBCI Player, ITV  Player, All 4  etc due to this. Also pages take a long time to load when browsing facebook etc on my phone. The router is connected via ethernet cable straight in to the master socket, no microfilter is required as the socket is split.

Phone line is working fine, there's no noise on the line. Router is left on constantly. Estimated peak time speeds are are 3mbps download & 1mbps upload. I have done speed tests (all off peak times!) and results are as follows:

04/05 0.88mbs download, 0.01mbps upload

07/05 0.86 mbps download, 0.12 mbps upload

08/05 0.92 mbps download, 0.07 mbps upload

I am unsure why it is so slow. I literally moved 0.4 mile from my old home almost a month ago, and never had a problem with broadband speed there. If I upgrade to fibre, will the speed improve, or will it be pointless if the speed is already slow?

Many thanks

17 REPLIES 17
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Extremely slow ADSL broadband speed.

First question: were your speedtests done wired or wirelessly?

(No point chasing a potential connection problem if it's the Wifi that's underperforming.)

Donna79
Dabbler

Hi JayG

I used a speed test app I have on my phone. 

JayG
Pro

If you don't have the equipment to do a wired speedtest, can you log into your router to find out the connection rate it's currently syncing at?

Donna79
Dabbler

I don't have my router password etc to hand as I'm at work, but I can log in when I am back at home

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Donna79 

Put your telephone number in here. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome This will give you the expected range of speeds for both ADSL and VDSL (Fibre) at your address. This then needs to be compared with the sync speed that you will get from your router.

Also, what speed did Plusnet promise when you signed up?

This could be an infrastructure issue. The first thing has to be to see what the sync speed is as suggested, if it's low further advice will be forthcoming to try to run that to earth.

If the sync speed is OK then it will be a wireless issue. Assuming that Plusnet have given you a Hub Zero then this could be the issue. The wireless performance of these is dire. Again we have suggestions on how to improve this.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Donna79
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick

I have attached a PDF of the results of when I put my phone number in - I tried to copy & paste, but I was unable to for some reason.

Not too sure what all the numbers mean as I'm not too clued up with that. My estimated speed was 3mbps download & 1mbps upload when I signed up. 

Donna79
Dabbler

Also it is a Hub Zero I received, if this helps?

Many thanks

JayG
Pro

I have attached a PDF of the results of when I put my phone number in - I tried to copy & paste, but I was unable to for some reason.

Not too sure what all the numbers mean as I'm not too clued up with that. My estimated speed was 3mbps download & 1mbps upload when I signed up. 

You clearly are a long way from the exchange, which is why ADSL can't give you more than 3Mbps, but you equally clearly are near a Fibre Cabinet which should give you the maximum possible speed available from Plusnet on FTTC.

Leaving that aside for now, if your router is reporting syncing at around 3Mpbs downstream, you need to try to get the best out of its Wi-fi (I think @Baldrick1 is a bit harsh calling the 2704n 'dire', although it does need all the help you can give it, which includes possibly changing the wireless channel to one potentially less congested where you are.)

Some help with doing that is available from here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JayG 

It's not just me that's not impressed with the Hub Zero. See https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review especially the bit about it being the worst wireless performance they've seen from a router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at 0.9mbps so the speed tests you've provided over WiFi look about right. As your speeds are below the expectations for your line at between 1mbps and 3mbps, we'll able to investigate further.

Could you try the troubleshooting steps Here first though please? If your speeds don't improve, I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've done this and we'll pick this up as soon as we can and arrange an engineer visit with you for further investigation.

If you're interested here's a copy of the testing:

xDSL Status Check Test Outcome :

Test Outcome

: Pass

Description

: OK.

Circuit Sync Status

: Circuit In Sync

NTE Detail :

Power Status

: NTE Power On

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
50.7 10.5 0 0 11289 320

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
63.5 7.5 0 N/A 23850 992

Downstream BIP Interface Data

Current Line Rate Line Rate Change TimeStamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalculated Profile TimeStamp Maximum Stable Rate Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag
875 09/05/2019 03:30:42 N 24/04/2019 00:00:00 864 691 A

Here's also a copy of your connection graph over the past 7 days which looks stable:

image15574721216897

If you'd like to upgrade to fibre it looks like you're pretty close to the cabinet (the green box in the road) as your speed estimates for fibre are really good:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

High Low High Low    
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67.4 20 19 61.5 Available

Although I'd recommend first seeing if we can get the issue fixed with your existing broadband service as depending on where or what the fault is, it may follow you after you upgrade to fibre. 

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Donna79
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Thank you for running the speed tests. I have also tried changing wireless channels last night as advised, to see if it would improve the speed, but it just remained the same on all channels. I will test the master socket over the weekend & see if that eliminates any issues.

Many thanks!

Donna79
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

Trying log a fault as advised, but the page keeps going in to error when I do so. ADSL speed still extremely slow, & would like to upgrade to fibre if it resolves the issue, but need to get issue fixed first just to ensure the fault doesn't follow after I upgrade. Can't log fault though 😕 

Many thanks

Donna

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Donna79

It looks like this was successful as you have a new fault ticket here.

I've just tested your line and provided an update via that ticket - if you could let us know when you've responded, that would be great.

Best wishes

Dave

Donna79
Dabbler

Hi Dave

I've responded to the fault ticket raised - please can you confirm when the engineer will be visiting (22nd/23rd or 24th May 8am - 1pm time slots), in order for me to book time off work/arrange for someone to wait in.

Many thanks

Donna