Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely concerning IP address

spaced
Dabbler

Extremely concerning IP address

Hello,

I've been assigned an extremely concerning IP address after rebooting my router. The IP is reported as being owned by https://m247.com/. 

Why have I been assigned an IP address by this company? Is this anything to do with plusnet?

I can't get through on the phone - can anyone offer any advice on this? I'm now using a VPN out of concern for my data.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Extremely concerning IP address

Where have you checked to obtain this information? Have you checked on an alternative site - some geo-location sites are known to be lax in updating their data.

If you post your IP here (redacting the last octet), others will be able to check for you.

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I’ve checked the OP’s IP address and it does seem to be registered to m247.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Is this a phishing expedition?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Good Evening, 

Looking at the IP you are connecting to the forum from, this would not seem to be a Plusnet owned or assigned IP, and as you rightly state, it shows as owned by m247.

Looking at the IP's your router has been assigned over the last 30 days however, I cannot see this IP in that list and each of the IP's you have been assigned are showing as assigned to ourselves using various whois sources.

Has your device connected to a free wi-fi network by any chance? if not could you send me an image in private message of the router settings page where it shows your connection status and IP so I can look into this further. 

Thanks

spaced
Dabbler

Hello.

Firstly, i'm not sure if Browni knows what phishing is - funny to get accused of that. Oh well, whatever. Jog on mate. 

After a hard reboot of my router using the reset button, my IP address is 51.9.35.***. Which comes back as a Plus net ip address, via https://ipinfo.io. I'm starting to feel safer online.

I personally only connect via Ethernet, so rightly so I was extremely concerned with what happened. Now that i'm on a plusnet IP address, can we shed any light as to what may have happened? 

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately not, it's not an IP from a range that we own and isn't similar to any of our current ranges so it could not have been assigned via our network to your router.

The only thing I can think is due to the router being reset, Windows decided to jump onto an open access-point nearby(if you have windows 10 this can happen fairly often when you lose connection) and the IP you we're getting is from that.

I've checked through everything our side and can only see the 3 IP's I would have expected you to have over the past few weeks and nothing that looks out of the ordinary Smiley 

You should be good to continue browsing as normal without any issues or worries

Browni
Aspiring Hero

I was using social engineering in the 80's
Wind yer neck back in.
spaced
Dabbler

Hello

By AP, do you refer to Wi-Fi? My device isn't Wi-Fi enabled.

So what you're saying is, my Windows machine was reporting the IP address from m24, however my router did not?

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry, Yes that would be wireless Smiley 

That would be correct, if the device is not wireless is there a chance you had some VPN software or similar open on your machine at the time? As this would show your IP as the exit node for your VPN provider at the time you checked, this could explain why you saw the IP that you did.

Just to confirm and ease any worries, you are currently connected to your Plusnet connection and browsing the forum on the IP we would expect for you Smiley 

spaced
Dabbler

seh6p

spaced
Dabbler

^^ directed at the lovely gentlemen above, offering no help at all

Darkfire, thanks for taking a look. I guess I was just pretty confused how this could happen.

VPN wise I have software installed, but it wasn't active at the time.

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know if you have any more concerns, always happy to check into things where possible Smiley

Browni
Aspiring Hero

@spaced wrote:

^^ directed at the lovely gentlemen above, offering no help at all

I take great pleasure in not offering help to [-Censored-].

Maybe you missed the "?" in my first reply?

spaced
Dabbler

giphy