Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Broadband Speed!

Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Extremely Slow Broadband Speed!

Hello there,

I'm new to the Community and was hoping someone would be able to help me, please!

For the last several days I've been having some serious issues with my ADSL broadband speed.  I've conducted multiple checks to ensure that I'm connected and the signal strength is fine.  I've reset my router (2704n) to its factory settings, made sure my laptop is totally clean and even reinstalled my web browser to see whether any faults on this end.  According to the BT speed test (repeated three times in a row last night) my current download speed is 0.25-0.26Mbps and the upload speed is about 0.96-1Mbps.  My average speed should normally be 7.1Mbps and has never dropped drastically (and suddenly!) since I moved house and joined PlusNet (a few months ago).  I also started Broadband Troubleshooter (the PlusNet helpline was extremely busy an I would've had to wait for at least 45 minutes to get through to an agent), however, I don't think it'd take me anywhere as I couldn't answer some questions properly (e.g. there's no "I don't have a phone" answer to the second question about the dial tone).  I think I've run out of ideas/options and therefore am now really frustrated. 

Would anyone please offer some help?  Should I do anything else before I phone PlusNet again and stay on the line for whatever long is necessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, A.

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Extremely Slow Broadband Speed!

Hi there,

I've just been looking into this and diagnostic tests are picking up on an issue with the line.

It's a type of fault called a "loop condition", as that  can commonly be caused by faulty equipment in the home it would be a good idea to see if it's possible for you to borrow a phone just to test on the line so we can rule that out and avoid any fees which could arise from an engineer visit.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Many thanks for getting back!  Yes, I can definitely do that and test on the line as per your advice.  I'll provide an update as soon as this has been done as really want to solve the problem as quickly as possible.

Thank you again, A.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems, keep us posted.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Good Evening,

Now that I've managed to borrow a phone, plug it in and test the line I can confirm that I cannot hear any signal.  I was wondering, however, whether there should be any signal when I pick up a handset if I'm on a broadband only package?  I'm sorry if this me being silly, however, if I don't have any home phone plan, should I really be able to hear the signal in the handset?  Whatever the answer is, unfortunately, there is no signal on the line and this is a fact.  I would also like to mention that I've made an attempt to look for possible faults with my ADSL filter, however, I've tested another two (including a brand new one) and nothing's changed in terms of the broadband speed, I'm afraid.

Would you advise further, please?

Many thanks, A.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What are you talking about, what are you expecting to hear? You should hear nothing on your phone line apart from phone calls. Can you make calls on your phone line and hear speech as you would expect? If there are no horrible crackling, hissing or other noises then the phone line is fine.

Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Hi there,

What I'm talking about is the signal tone in the handset I thought I should be hearing, however, if you're saying that this is not the case, then fine, thank you very much.  I pay for line rental only, therefore I wasn't sure what I was looking for, that's all.  I can't make any phone calls to my home number or from this number.  The line is totally quiet, no crackling, no hissing, nothing at all.

Many thanks, A.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Do you mean you don't get a dialling tone and you can't make or receive calls? I think you need to raise a phone line fault.

Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Yes, I meant the dialling tone, sorry.  I think I've now done everything I possibly could and waited long enough to raise a fault and request for an engineer to come and have a look.  Thank you.