cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra is less

pittdj
Grafter

Extra is less

This is a copy of a becalmed usenet post.
It is all a bit disappointing, today I moved from Premier Option One to Extra and I have had the email from PlusNet confirming the move.
The thing is nothing happened here, the sync rate is as before and the "current line speed" is unaltered at 5500, the connection is still running
at its 'up to 8Mb/s' rates but with a Noise Margin of 15dB.
21CN and ADSL2+ did arrive about 10 days ago, PlusNet had said some time ago that such a move was in the pipeline. At the time I did briefly see sync at about 10000kb/s and the "current line speed" was 21000. A few days later 'up to 8Mb/s' was reinstated. (That arrangement left me with a connection about 1000kb/s slower than before even though the Noise Margin was 15dB.)
So what happened to the up to 20Mb/s bit, 13Mb/s is predicted for this line.
Extra is cheaper but also slower!!
Ticket 35049093 is becalmed somewhere.
22 REPLIES 22
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Extra is less

the change is not automatic, you have to ask to be put on 21CN - ADSL2 
Which by this post you have now done
pittdj
Grafter

I did not understand the above answer at all. I am asking for help from PlusNet, to see a sign of the 'up to 20Mb/s' I have paid for with my new Extra account.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you are probably on 20CN or ADSL max which both have a limit of 8M,  although you have changed backages, you have to be switched to ADSL2 which is the up to 20M bit.
Also it depends on what your current synch speed if as below 4M you might not see any improvement.
see here on how to get you router stats then post the results for advise  http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
pittdj
Grafter

Please, how is that answer at all helpful. I am on ADSL2+ and have already seen 10000kb/s sync. The noise margin as previously said is 15dB.
PlusNet where are you?
paulg123
Grafter

my guess is that because you have moved over to adsl2 that your connection has DLM running which will run various speeds until it finds the sweet spot on your connection i.e. a stable speed that wont create errors.
pittdj
Grafter

Thanks paulg123, that could be so. The full history is that on the 25th June PlusNet wrote to say that I was to be moved to 21CN. I first thought I would let that happen then consider Extra. I got fed up with waiting and it was not clear if any change had happened so I ordered Extra anyway. Ten days ago something did change, the sync rate went up to 10000kb/s and did move down a bit to acheive stability with a 6dB Noise Margin. Then on a Monday PlusNet applied the 'up to 8Mb/s' that would have been appropriate to the Premier Option One. Come the day of the changeto Extra nothing further happened other than an email from PlusNet saying the job is done. The expected rate for Extra on this line was 13Mb/s.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pittdj,
Your line is on up to 20meg and you definitely haven't been restricted to 8meg. With your attenuation of 41 we would have expected to see more in the region of 7meg speed. I would say at this point the best thing to do would be to visit our troubleshooting guide and see if that helps. If not, it will enable you to raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley
pittdj
Grafter

Err, this will not do, the expected speed I have been given is 13Mb/s, are you now telling me the information from PlusNet was wrong.
Moving on, the "current line speed" as given by the HighSpeed Broadband tool is 5500, is that correct, it was at 21000 earlier on first moving to 21CN.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pittdj,
I understand the speed between the estimate and what you are getting is quite a difference. Looking at it I'll be honest and say that at this moment I couldn't say why that is and that's the reason why i think it would be a good idea to follow the troubleshooting guide as I would advise anyone who doesn't receive the speed they expect.
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OK, I am on 13000 M download as reported by my router
I do get this on a Win 7 desktop using M$S security
I do get this on a Linux Netbook
But  about 8500 on an XP net book and XP laptop running Avast AntiVirus  did sone tests stopping verious Avast "Features" and got it up to 9500.
I was happy with this and didnt look further
pittdj
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I have had a look at the troubleshooting guide and have done what I can here, different micro-filter, different modem, there is no extension wiring, the modem is into the master socket, the only other kit is a dect phone which I unplugged. No sign of 13Mb/s.
I have had a look at the BT availabilty checker and that seems to think I am on ADSL.
<quote>
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 13Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 7Mbps.
</quote>
Does that have anything useful to say?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pittdj
Yeah I saw that too, but I have checked on our systems and 2 BT systems and It definitely is ASDL2+ up to 20meg.
Jojo Smiley
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you are probably on 20CN or ADSL max which both have a limit of 8M,  although you have changed backages, you have to be switched to ADSL2 which is the up to 20M bit.
Also it depends on what your current synch speed if as below 4M you might not see any improvement.
see here on how to get you router stats then post the results for advise  http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

ADSL2 in some cases can be better on less stable/longer lines which ADSL2+ can't handle so well.
ADSL2 can provide download speeds up to 12Mbps and ADSL2+ up to 20Mbps when going through BT's 21CN setup
Some LLU providers say they can provide ADSL2+ with download speeds up to 24Mbps if the line is suitable i.e. low attenuation and stable.
pnf
Grafter

If you put the value of your current downstream attenuation into the calculator found on the following web page it will give you an indication of what speeds to expect.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Also, it is worth bearing in mind that when switching from ADSL to ADSL2+ the attenuation on your line may increase by about 3 or 4 dB.