cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension wiring

cbcadmin
Grafter

Extension wiring

Anyone advise on the best way of wiring up an extension please?
Originally I had an external wire to an internal socket installed by BT as the master socket was pre user faceplate type.
Some years ago the master was replaced by the faceplate type and I re-wired the extension into the faceplate. This worked fine with previous ISPs, but a few months ago I damaged the wire and reverted to an extension off a plug on a socket doubler. This was also fine with previous ISPs, but as I'm still getting problems with drop-outs that Plusnet don't seem interested in, I thought I'd re-do the faceplate extension.
The wire into the faceplate is very rigid, but as BT issue, I assume this is normal?  Would it be best to join this wire onto some more flexible cable for the last few centimeters? I notice the BT cabling is done this way. Can you/is it best to buy special connectors?
TIA - Keef

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Vodafone FTTP via THG3000 & Three via ZTE MF286D

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
26 REPLIES 26
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Extension wiring

I was initially confused when I read your post as you talked about the original extension wiring being damaged, and then using a plug-in extension, so I assumed you'd removed the damaged wiring but the last paragraph implies you haven't. Whichever, you will of course be removing it!
You will need to buy some CW1308 cable (2 pair), some 3.5mm cable clips and a Disposable IDC tool from the tools page.
CW1308 is the correct standard of cable as used by BT, it is a solid core cable which is the correct type and size for insertion into IDC terminals. You should not be using flexible cables as you won't get a guaranteed trouble free connection in an IDC terminal.
The supplier in the link is a reputable one and their charges are very reasonable. Cheap unknown sources may result in fake specification cable.
You only connect terminals 2 & 5 using the Blue+white trace wire on 2 and White+blue trace wire on 5.
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I assumed you'd removed the damaged wiring but the last paragraph implies you haven't. Whichever, you will of course be removing it!

Sorry. Original wire was disconnected when new socket installed. Then reconnected to faceplate. Disconnected when damaged. Looking at reconnecting now damage has been cut out.
Thanks for links.
Have cable and IDC tool. So looks as if my original direct connection is OK. Just seemed odd "fighting" the wire. Saw the BT crimped? connections to more flexible wire and thought .......

Previously - NowTV, John Lewis, Shell Energy, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
Anotherone
Champion

I ignored that part of your post because it seemed irrelevant and confusing, but out of curiosity where are these connections to this "more flexible" wire exactly? I expect they are made using "Jelly Crimps". If you have a digital camera you could attach photos to a post as well.
cbcadmin
Grafter

it seemed irrelevant and confusing,

I thought it was relevant because I was "battling" with wire that seemed too stiff, where as the BT wires seemed more flexible. I might be wrong as I didn't disturb them as I thought this was "illegal". Wink

Anotherone
Champion

As I said, clarification of exactly where they are and pictures would help. Such a situation on internal wiring is unconventional, but it's not that important, I was just curious.
cbcadmin
Grafter

it's not that important, I was just curious.

I'll take some pictures in the daylight.
I think the same connections were used by NTL when they installed their cabling.

Anotherone
Champion

I am now convinced that all the comment about  "BT crimped? connections to more flexible wire" and about NTL wiring has nothing whatsoever to do with the internal wiring as it is in the supplier side of the NTE5a. The manner of your posts make confusing reading and give an unclear and in fact misleading picture.
Just sort out your internal wiring as previously suggested only connecting terminals 2 & 5.
I presume that any dropping connection that I now deduce that you have, doesn't occur when you are plugged into the Test socket and when you have resolved your internal wiring, will not occur when you go back to the normal setup.
cbcadmin
Grafter

when you have resolved your internal wiring, will not occur when you go back to the normal setup.

Disconnects have occurred ever since I joined Plusnet, but I no issues with previous ISPs using the internal wiring I am using ATM.
I simply wanted to re-make the faceplate wiring due to damage as explained, as it is neater and uses a shorter cable run.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Keeef
Disconnects have occurred ever since I joined Plusnet, but I no issues with previous ISPs

The crucial question is whether your previous ISPs were LUU operators who installed their own equipment in the telephone exchange or whether, like Plusnet, they used the BT equipment.  If they were LUU operators then it's at least possible that the equipment in the telephone exchange on your line is faulty.  If not then something has changed or aged or become faulty. 
Anotherone
Champion

I doubt it's anything to do with exchange equipment.
I suggest you didn't notice any drops previously, especially if you had a fixed IP address. Apart from which the interference that will be picked up by such "plug-in" extensions can vary with whatever other equipment is used not only by you but by neighbours, as well as any old/new equipment developing problems / faults / noisy switchmode power supplies, compact fluorescent low energy lighting, cordless phones, faulty street lights, electric motors, etc etc etc.
Of course, if the problem doesn't go away completely when you are plugged into the test socket, then you may have developed a line problem. Have you heard / can you hear any crackling or other audible noises when using the phone? Had any other problems with outgoing or incoming calls? If you have a faulty phone line it will affect your broadband.
But apart from which, looking at the stats you posted in the other thread you aren't getting the best performance - another symptom of noise being present / picked up.
Plug in to the test socket and post another set of full stats.
cbcadmin
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
The crucial question is whether your previous ISPs were LUU operators who installed their own equipment

That's a good point. When was LUU introduced? I think it was prior to this.

cbcadmin
Grafter

I doubt it's anything to do with exchange equipment.

But at least it's a sensible suggestion.

Anotherone
Champion

NOT when you've either done nothing to eliminate internal wiring  problems or demonstrate the problem still exists when plugged into the test socket. It's a pointless suggestion in the circumstances and just provides you with a further excuse to make contrary posts which I'm beginning to think you are just doing to wind everyone up.
Your problems are wholly indicative of wiring issues without any evidence to the contrary which you seem reluctance to provide.
cbcadmin
Grafter

NOT when you've either done nothing to eliminate internal wiring  problems

What is the problem?
I have already stated the internal wiring worked fine with previous supplier.
I think you are getting confused with my other issue: a separate extension that was damaged.  Roll_eyes