Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension Cables

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Extension Cables

I'm currently going through a phone line fault detection ticket but I wonder if anyone is successfully using a long ADSL cable?
(ADSL up to 8Mb package)
Since switching ISP's from LLU to BTw, Plusnet have detected that I'm suffering reduced speeds due to fairly regular (1 - 6 hours) make and break connections. I've done what I can my end by:
Replaced poor quality 15 metre ribbon type ADSL cable with a new high quality, tin shielded, gold pins, 10 metre ADSL cable (master socket > filter > router).
Replaced ADSL filter.
Moved router further away from electrics and hi fi speakers.
Since doing this the make and break instances appear to be more regular  Sad
The obvious advice from support is to reduce the 10 metre cable by placing the router nearer to the master socket but this is not an option for me due to the location of the master socket, electrics and router location. Master socket is almost under the stairs !
Is anyone successfully using a 10 metre phone socket to router connection and getting an error free connection?
Let's be careful out there !
33 REPLIES 33
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Extension Cables

Yes, mine is at least 10m (possibly 15, can't remember!) twisted pair extension cable.
Don't have an error-free connection (does anyone have no errors?) but no problems either - seems to give only slightly inferior stats than when connected to the test socket.
I did take great care to make sure it was routed away from any other cables/sockets/equipment though. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Years ago my setup was -

Standard Master socket  -->  2m round twisted pair  -->  Filter/Splitter  -->  ADSL Gateway
                            pair extension cable                         |
                                                                         -->  DECT phone

and my speed test results were 5.2 to 5.5Mbps

Changing to -
Master socket + ADSLnation faceplate  -->  50cm round RJ11  -->  ADSL Gateway
                                     |
                                     -->  1m phone cable   --> DECT+VoIP phone basestation

I now get the full 8128Kbps sync on 20CN, and speed test at 6.95 to 7.15Mbps.
I got a measurable speed gain in changing the filter and when reducing the cable length, on my near perfect phone line.
Do you have a mains socket anywhere near the phone master socket ?

[quote=JayG]does anyone have no errors?
I can go for days without a single error reported, and at worst maybe a dozen or so errors per week.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the info.
My line has a max possibility of just over 7Mbps in ideal conditions according to BT. LLU was giving me 6.5Mbps on the 15m ribbon cable. Plusnet started out at 6.5Mbps (day 1 speedtest.net) but due to the frequency of make and breaks I'm now stabilised at circa 3.8 to 4.2 Mbps which I would like to increase slightly.
Based on your stats I think I may have to undertake a rewiring exercise and get a power socket near the master socket (single faceplate pre NTE5) and add 2 more Powerlines.
I'd be a bit peeved to pay £60 for a BT engineer to attend and charge me £60 to tell me the 10metre cable is too long.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you temporarily use a mains extension cable, to see whether having the ADSL gateway plugged into the master socket, makes any difference to your line statistics and whether your disconnection fault disappears ?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

I've just had a chat with support and we have a plan in force. I'll stay as is to see whether Interleaving, turned on today, makes any difference. If it does then fine. If not I'll get another pair of Powerlines and put a double socket extension spur near the socket.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds very sensible,  although you could plan to do both to get the best possible outcome !
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Indeed
Sure enough, when I used SpeedTest yesterday evening I recorded 6.2Mbps  Cheesy
However, this morning it was back down to 3.8Mbps (slowest of 3 tests).
= off out lunchtime to get another pair of Netgear XAVB5201's. Weekend job, wire in a double socket spur near the master socket and hope the auto checker picks up a better connection.
It looks like the Technicolor can be hung on a vertical surface as it has slots in 2 of the feet so that should keep it tidy.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you currently have a long extension lead to where you have the router and you are putting a power socket near the master socket you would be far, far, far better off putting the router by the master as planned and then using a long Ethernet cable over the same route as you currently have the extension lead. That would be far more reliable and cheaper than using powerlines. If at the end of the Ethernet cable you need multiple connections you could buy a Ethernet switch for under £10.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Without interleaving your connection would be more vulnerable to spikey kinds of electrical interference, so you might want to think about checking whether you have anything operating/switching at around the times you were seeing the connection drop.
A 10m length of twisted pair cable should have made absolutely no difference to your performance, was it running parallel and within a few inches of mains cable?
Personally I would be doing what purleigh suggested in reply #4 and looking for sources of electrical interference before going to the sort of expense proposed, especially if you would rather have Interleaving off - do you do on-line gaming?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would also try fitting a main surge suppressor where the ADSL gateway power supply is plugged into,  to eliminate the possibility of conducted mains interference being transmitted to the modem via it's power supply.
I quite like these for single outlets - http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F9H100-CW
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

I had interleaving turned on yesterday to help give a more stable line. I was expecting a much slower ping but that doesn't seem to have changed much. I've performed a Speedtest most mornings since 28th April and when I get a slower connection the ping is in the 40's. when I get the odd faster connection (over 5Mbps) the ping is in the 50's
I'm not an online gamer. I'm just looking for a steady speed over 5Mbps for downloading update files a bit quicker and the odd iPlayer session.
The 10 metre cable is a top quality shielded one (Maplins £19.99) and sits around the top edge of the room in dedicated trunking and it's all on it's own, nowhere near any electrical cable.
I think my first objective is to get the router right next to the master socket. That should enable the fastest possible speeds at that point. I've now got the other 2 Powelines and if they perform anything like the 2 I've already got then hopefully it's job done.
Thanks for all the advice.
Anotherone
Champion

Just to advise that there is nothing in Maplins advertising that says that it's a twisted pair cable as much as I would expect it to be. Screening alone is inadequate. Worth checking, especially if you do see a significant difference. However, even if it it, it could depend on the time of day that you sync depending on how vulnerable your line is to general noise pick-up which is normally worse after dark.
Anotherone
Champion

Just had a further thought to my last post - how many wires are connected in that cable? If it's more than two, that could well be a problem. If the connector has a clear moulding, have a look with a magnifier in a bright light and see how many wires there are.
njay
Grafter

If its like the belkin "High Speed" ADSL one I have (not in use I might add although concievably it might be better than the flat wire one that comes with OR VDSL2 modem currently in use?) then it will have all 4 wires connected with pins 1 and 4 twisted together and pins 2 and 3 twisted together.
Why? I have no idea seeing as the 2nd set of wires aren't used by modems in this country?