cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the range of a TG582n

cowgate7

Extending the range of a TG582n

Please help. We have thick walls and no signal beyond the main BT socket room. Amazed by the range of systems offered, but which works best?
5 REPLIES 5
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Extending the range of a TG582n

Ethernet cable works best if at all feasible.  
Powerlines can work pretty well, but you need ones with a much higher rated number than you expect to see speed: Zyxel PLA4201 v2 500Mbps pairs are available around £20 (eg Scan).
You don't say if you are on VDSL.  If so, you can leave the modem near the master but move the router.  In that case, you won't get any wireless signal inside the main BT socket room, I don't know if that matters to you.
AndyH
Grafter

You've got various options -
New router with better wireless range
Home plugs with wireless support
Wireless repeater
In terms of cost, I would probably look at the second option.
sjptd
Grafter

Homeplugs (powerline) without wireless support and an extra wireless router (or switch) may be cheaper and give more wireless power than powerline with wireless support.  It will also give extra ethernet capability.  You may even not need the wireless, but that is pretty unlikely these days.
Wireless repeater probably won't work for you as you say you don't have any signal outside the room.
cowgate7

Thanks for the quick replies. Will try the plug in option
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thick (I assume stone) walls can be a serious problem for WiFi. As has already been said, Ethernet cable where practical would be best, and a local AP at any specific locations that you need wireless.