cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with 582N router on long lines (20CN DSL Max)

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Experience with 582N router on long lines (20CN DSL Max)

Hi,
I'm using a loaned 582N router at the moment, primarily because I can configure software to monitor error rates, which I can't with my normal router which is a Linksys 320N.  However I notice the 582N shows a very much larger reduction in noise margin overnight compared to the Linksys.    So I was just wondering, just in general how do people view the 582N in terms of it's actual DSL line handling?  It would be silly me chasing an apparent error which was in fact just due to different/poorer router behaviour. 
I'm reluctant to revert to the Linksys just to get a like-for-like, because it doesn't display errors at all, so if it behaves the same errors may be high enough for DLM to slow us down.  At least with the 582N I can monitor the errors and slow it down before that happens.
Thanks,  Tony S
2 REPLIES 2
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Experience with 582N router on long lines (20CN DSL Max)

Hi - Not a particularly long line  3,2km and attennuation  around 40 and on 21CN adsl2+  so may not compare too well
I think you may know I have had a problem with REIN . In the period, 8 months or so that I have been trying to sort it I have been using the 582n  as it feeds into Routerstats very well.  In all that time I dont think it has dropped the line other than due to intervention by myself or PN even when the rein clobbered the SNRM by
around 4dB virtually on a daily basis.
I attach 4 graphs covering a night in May15 when PNs efforts to bypass the rein were not too severe ie they had not increases the snrm and not imposed interleaving.
(No rein present during the night) 
HTH
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Experience with 582N router on long lines (20CN DSL Max)

I think I've answered my own question.  NM was so low late this morning that I thought I'd better resync to a more sensible speed so did a controlled disconnect and reboot.  Prior to this it was varying between 3.5 and 4.5dB and running at 4416K  downstream.  After reconnection noise margin jumped to 6dB as expected and has continues to bump along between 6 and 6.5, but sync was at exactly the same speed, 4416K.  That's got to be inconsistency in the router, or maybe poor bitswap implementation.