cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected speeds on ADSL2+? (up and down)

newlay
Dabbler

Expected speeds on ADSL2+? (up and down)

I've just been moved to 21CN a few days ago and have a couple of queries:
First, the stats:
Down: 15232kbps, SNR 10.0dB (seems to vary 9.0-10.0), Attenuation 9.5dB (fairly fixed), Tx Power 12.1dB
FEC 450464, CRC 362, HEC 18340 (over about 24 hours)
RxATTNDR (not sure what this is) 17624000 (17624kbps?)
Up: 440kbps, SNR 53dB (on the web interface, the telnet interface shows 27dB), Attenuation 5.0dB, Tx Power 14.5dB
The speed's great (on ADSL I used to sync at 7616 which I gather was due to interleaving) but I wonder why it's not syncing even faster given such low attenuation (the exchange is just up the road) - I've seen faster syncs with higher attenuation reported here. The speed calculator at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php thinks I should be right up at the top end.
Is it anything to do with having the SNR nearer 10 rather than 6? Are the errors etc (no LOS though) anything to do with it or is that just normal for ADSL2? (I gather it uses error correction a lot more than ADSL1)
Also, if I ask for my upload speed to be uncapped (I gather that puts it to 1Mbps) is it likely to affect my download speed at all?
Lastly, I asked for interleaving to be turned off - the modem (a D-link G624M) is still reporting Interleave. I gather ADSL2 doesn't do interleaving in quite the same way as ADSL1 (ie there's no 'interleaved' and 'fast' channels any more), and my ping times do seem to be a few ms lower on pingtest.net (though it's always hard to judge) - is there any way of telling if it's been changed, or does the option not properly exist for ADSL2 with Plusnet?
Thanks for any help/answers - it's by no means a complaint/moan - just that I'm (like most people on here I'd imagine) a techie and am interested to know these things.
1 REPLY 1
newlay
Dabbler

Re: Expected speeds on ADSL2+? (up and down)

An update on the interleaving (I'm even more confused now) - I went to 'Interleaving' in 'Connection Settings' again: it says "Your interleaving status: ON". If I click to turn it off, the text changes to say "OFF". However, when I go back to the interleaving page it's back to being "ON" again...
Is there any way to turn it off and keep it there with ADSL2+?