cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclamation mark next to Wifi icon - Kindle Fire's

bikearmy

Exclamation mark next to Wifi icon - Kindle Fire's

Good morning fellow PNers!!
I've got a Kindle Fire (which runs Amazon's branded version of Android) and today I've noticed there's an exclamation mark next to the Wifi icon at the top of the screen. We also have a Hudl2 having just checked it's showing the same 'problem'.
I've reset the PN router, change wifi channel several times and even dragged out the BT Hub and connected that up to run Plusnet through, but still the problem persists!
Any advice on how to sort or indication of what the issue is would be greatly apprecaited.

Cheers, Mike.
7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Exclamation mark next to Wifi icon - Kindle Fire's

Only got a basic Kindle myself, but did these devices work on wifi at one point?
Works fine.
Have you entered your wifi password settings into your HUDL/KINDLE Fire at one point so
that the handshake takes place? After that should do it automatically when devices in range.
Click on the wifi exclamation mark icon; see what it says; could your devices be trying to connect to a neighbour's modem?
bikearmy

Yep, had the Kindle Fire since Christmas Day and the Hudl for about twelve months and the problem on both devices has only started today.
If you turn off Wifi and then back on again there's a message saying "No Internet Access Detected, won't reconnect automatically"  Undecided
EDIT: If you click on the router name it shows as "Connected" but seems to have limited access. Internet works of a fashion, but can't seem to download apps etc as it just hangs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try selecting the network and get it to 'forget' the connection. Then re-make the connection, I suspect it will work after that.
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I sometimes get it showing with my hudl 2.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

On a laptop, the exclamation mark means that the laptop can connect to the wireless station (normally part of your router/modem) but that the router is not connecting to the wider internet. I have an overly complicated home network with my wireless router stuck out on a long ethernet wire away from the main router/modem. The wireless router is a cheapy one, loses the plot every so often and cannot find its connection to the main router/modem. My laptop then connects quite happily to the wireless station but cannot find an internet connection so gives me the exclamation mark. Resetting the wireless router cures this for a while. Devices plugged directly into the main router, work happily throughout the time the exclamation mark shows on the other devices.
Do you have any equipment other than the hudl or Kindle that does connect/is connected to the internet at this moment? If you do then the problem is internal and something to do with the wireless or hudl/kindle but if you have no other equipment that connects then it may be that your broadband connection is broken somewhere between you and Plusnet. Best of luck with curing whichever it is.
bikearmy

Sorry for delay in replying.
The "problem" has corrected itself without me making any further changes or amendments, so can only assume there was some temporary issue with the connection.
Thanks for the replies.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Did you restart the router during this issue?
One frequently reoccurring problem with wifi devices is that they connect to the wifi infrastructure but do not successfully obtain an IP address for the LAN.  You can determine if this applies by inspecting the network details in the device - if the IP address details are incomplete (for example no gateway address) then the device did not successfully obtain an address from the router after successfully connecting to the wifi network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.