cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange upgraded but BB is no faster

Tomo28

Exchange upgraded but BB is no faster

Hi there,
My exchange has finally been upgraded to adsl2, but my speed has not increased. I am still only getting 2mb-2.4mb download & 0.3mb upload.
Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Exchange upgraded but BB is no faster

Hi there,
Speeds won't increase as soon as the exchange is enabled, that just means that 21CN equipment has been installed. We still need to place a modify order on your line to move you over.
In your case it's unlikely that there'd be much of a speed increase given the current speeds you mention I'm afraid, however if you'd like us to place an order for you please let us know.
Tomo28

Thanks for the reply,
Looks like I am stuck with these slow speeds then!  Sad
FIbre is coming to my exchange at the end of June if I upgrade to that will that increase my speed?
Is it free to modify my line? If not how much is it? Is it is free please place the order  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Fibre will increase it quite dramatically
There is no cost to move to 21CN/ADSL2 but you probably won't see any speed increase
x47c
Grafter

All the information relating to how much extra fibre costs and the various packages available is on the main Plusnet Website, as are estimates as to how fast it is.
The further you are away from the local street cabinet that feeds your house the slower will be the fibre speeds, some lines are better than others, some worse.
Regardless of any date given for the exchange to be upgraded to fibre, you personally can only receive it when your local street cabinet is upgraded and the fibre box installed alongside and made fully operational.  
They are not all done at the same time and those which have "problems" or are so small as to be economically unviable may not be done at all under the current plans.
You cannot place an order until your line is showing as having fibre availble on it.
This can be done by putting your phone number into the offical definitive BT checker at
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Tomo28

Thanks for the information,
My exchange is supposed to be upgraded in June to support fibre. It also says my line already supports fibre of upto 40mb dl and 10mb upload. There was a new cabinet installed at the start of my street a couple of months ago, I am about 400m away from it.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Tomo28,
Your upgrade to 21CN is already in place as part of our bulk migrations, and this is due to complete on the 13th April. As for fibre, the 30th June is a place holder date when they don't have the exact date available, so you could find that on or around that date, it's gets put back again. I'd keep checking, because as soon as they have a confirmed date it will change.
Jojo Smiley
Tomo28

Thanks for the information and assistance that is fantastic thank you. I have just done a speed test and I am getting 3.5mbps download, don't know whats happened but that is 1mb increase, it maybe small but its kept me happy for now  Grin