Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange upgrade speed difference

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Exchange upgrade speed difference

Hi
Wonder if someone with more knowledge than my self could explain something to me please.
My father lives in the next street to myself and is served by the same exchange. He joined Plusnet not long before Xmas and received an email from them in Jan stating the local exchange was being upgraded and he would soon be able to get 10mb down and 1mb up, which in the last week or so has happened. I haven't had that email from Plusnet myself and our speed still stands at 6.5mb and 0.8 up. The exchange is Caerleon, Newport, serving NP18.
Don't misunderstand, I know a lot of people would be delighted wirth that speed - I just wondered why his service has been upgraded and ours hasn't?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Exchange upgrade speed difference

According to Samknows your exchange is 21CN enabled so you could raise a ticket requesting an upgrade.
Or maybe a DCT member might pick this thread up tomorrow.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caryn
Rising Star

I raised a ticket to query the upgrade and support told me they did try to upgrade my account, (though I never received the email my father did suggesting this), but my line wouldn't support anything faster Sad
My house is identical in build and age to my father's, both early 80's. Neither have had any work, extensions or new lines installed. We are approx 30 metres apart, any ideas what sort of thing would cause us to have a slower line than him, so I know where to start investigating?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just submitted an order to reattempt the upgrade tomorrow. I honestly can't see a reason why this one would fail. Please bear in mind that the line will be subject to a 10 day training period once the order completes so the speeds won't improve straight away.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks Adam  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
caryn
Rising Star

My speed is still sitting at 6 - 6.5mb, so I presume the upgrade didn't work Adam Sad
Any advice on where to start my investigations into the speed difference my Dad and I are getting? Our set up is identical - with the exception he is on the baisc package and we have the pro package - so such a big difference in speed seems really odd.
Any help much appreciated as awlways Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn.
From what I can see the speed you're getting is consistent with your attenuation. Do you have a test socket you could plug into so I could run some more checks. Your attenuation is 40.5dB. What is your dad's. it may just be that he's on a shorter line than you.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply JoJo and apologies for not getting back to you sooner - life got in the way this week Cheesy
My Dad lives about 50 metres further away from the exchange than ourselves and his set up is idnetical to ours ( ie house built at same time etc).
His router stats show this today
Uptime: 30 days, 21:55:40

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,204 / 12,860

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,204 / 11,960

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 101.52 / 776.06

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 20.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 36.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 131,072 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 196,764 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 109,408 / 154,586,800

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 20,909 / 47,390

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,718 / NA

Our router shows  this
Uptime: 0 days, 17:28:43
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,112 / 8,703
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 40.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,263 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,263 / 1,677
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,192
Quite some differnece really Sad At best we get 6.5mb.
What sort of things would cause our line to behave so differently to his and where could I start my investigations to the most common reasons?
Thanks for your time.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your Dad is 'closer' to the exchange than you! What matters is the length of the line between you and the exchange, often they will go a long way round.
Your father is about 2.6km from the exchange and you are over 2.9Km. We can tell that from the attenuation shown in the router stats - pop the figures in to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
That also shows the sync speed you are getting is about right.
How do you connect to the router (wired or wireless) and which operating system are you using? If it's Windows XP have you adjusted the RWIN setting?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caryn,
I can only really echo what jelv said.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

We're not wireless and running Vista, Jelv.
Dad's line must be much better than ours then, as we literally live in the next street and 50m closer to the exchange than him. Looking at the geography of where we live, it's hard to see how BT could have lain 300m more cable to our house than his  Shocked but as you explained the router stats support that hypothesis, so I guess that's just our bad luck. I know my next door neighbour is with Plusnet too, so I'll try to speak to him later and see what his speed is like.
Our router stats seem to have a few lines less info than Da's too, his is a lot newer. We have a new one that Plusnet sent us when we had a previous fault - is it worth switching the router just to see if that's involved at all, or are the figures below conclusive enough to rule that out altogether?
Thanks for your help guys  Smiley
Steek
Grafter

I'm pretty sure the speeds are around about the same wherever you go but I have found that the "ping" result on speedtest.net isn't quite accuracte and would be best going to pingtest.net for that one (that's if your interested)