cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange enabled for 21cn, what next?

chesterfield
Grafter

Exchange enabled for 21cn, what next?

currently away from home, but noticed that my exchange has had 21cn activated in the last few days.
Is there anything i need to do or request, or will i return from hols to discover a nice shiny faster connection?
thought it worth asking in case i need to raise a ticket or something, which could be being progressed while im away Smiley
thanks for any advice Smiley
16 REPLIES 16
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Exchange enabled for 21cn, what next?

Two options, Raise Ticket to request the change over or wait for the system to do it automatically.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
chesterfield
Grafter

any idea how long the "automatically" option takes?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I would advise u to request it yourself as it take up to 7 working days to take affect the change.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi chesterfield,
I have placed the order to regrade you to 21CN, this will complete by the 27th September.
I have also updated your ticket.
If you have any questions with the regrade or anything else please let me know.
chesterfield
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Sorry for responding late - was away on hols and internet access was "intermittent" at best.  Order completed today thanks - now syncing at 12681,  which I think is quite good considering my previous atenuation of 33 ish, now 43 ish on 21cn.    Just waiting for the line speed restriction to catch up with the new sync rate.  Hopefully this router (belkin) will hold a signal at low SNR and not cause too much trouble during the 10 day training.
Thanks again for your help. Smiley
Tibbie
Grafter

Can I ask a question as part of this thread
I have recently been updated to 21CN, Monday morning I think was the date, but I am unsure of what happens during the 10 day training period, I used to sync at 8128, and my ip profile was 7150Kbps, I am in day 4 of my 10 day training period and my router (TPlink) now shows the following:
Mode: ADSL2+
SNR Margin (dB):       Downstream  26.4      Upstream  29.0
Attenuation (dB):               Downstream 14.5  Upstream  4.9
Output Power (dBm):       Downstrream11.6  Upstream 0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    Downstream 24860  Upstream 956
Rate (Kbps):               Downstream 8127  Upstream 443

However my ip profile moved to a fantastic 7170Kbps and has not budged since
Should I be seeing this change throughout the 10 days, or will it jump on day 10 ?
This information seems hard to find on the intaweb, so any help would be gratefully received 
Thanks in advance
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Tibbie. Your Downstream Sync Rate is the problem, it's still 8127. This means that either your line is configured for ADSL1 on 21CN (Plusnet would need to check) or your modem/router settings are configured to only use ADSL1 (instead of ADSL2+) or the modem/router is not compatible with ADSL2+ without a firmware update (or is too old for that - unlikely). I would check your modem/router settings as a first step.
Tibbie
Grafter

Hi Anotherone
Thanks for the info, the router is ADSL2+ and the ADSL 2+ tick box is ticked
DSL Settings
Select the modulation below.
  G.Dmt Enabled
  G.lite Enabled
  T1.413 Enabled
  ADSL2 Enabled
  AnnexL Enabled
ADSL2+ Enabled
  AnnexM Enabled
Everything above is ticked except Annex M
Select the phone line pair below.
  Inner pair ticked
  Outer pair
Capability
  Bitswap Enable ticked
  SRA Enable
So maybe the issue is with plusnet ?Huh
chesterfield
Grafter

Looks like BT have picked up my new IP profile of just over 11mbps, but plusnet still stuck at 7.15.  Any idea how long it takes the PN system to update from BT?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

chesterfield there is something wrong there. As you say above  line attenuation of 33dB before on ADSL and now 43dB on ADSL2+ (that was 10dB extra) as mine before on ADSL was 29dB and now 32dB on ADSL2+ (should be around no more than 3dB not 10dB)
see my picture below
chesterfield
Grafter

I was guessing around 12mb from my attenuation before switch to ADSL2+, so its about right.  Its about a 50% upgrade on what I had so Im happy, just hope that when fibre comes to my exchange (still cant believe our one horse village is geting it) that they bring the fibre as far as our cabinet.
Im sure its moved from around 34 to now 42.3, which is a little more than expected, but the sync rates match up with what I was expecting from a bunch of calculators, so seems good to me.  Just need to keep an eye on whether this router will handle any dips in SNR.  Having just had the line fixed by an engineer in the last few weeks, Im at least hopeful that I should get the best out of my line during the training period, will switch to a trust DG834GT with DGTeam Firmware if this router looks like it drops the connection - but touch wood, so far so good.
Just need the PN line speed brakes to come off now - still no idea why this system of updating the line speed doesnt work a PN.  Seems very strange that when my line speed/sync dropped, the pn line speed updated quite quickly - on the way up it drags its feet  Grin
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Before I switch to ADSL2+ BT had estimated my line will get between 4.5Mbps to 11.5Mbps on ADSL2+ but suprise me it was 15 Meg at the moment (that 3.5Mbps more than BT estimated)
chesterfield
Grafter

No update of ip profile from pn overnight.   Is there any particular reason why the pn line speed picks up reductions quite quickly but increases always seem to get "stuck"...?  Wink
Maybe just set it at 20mbps to avoid the pn system artificially capping the speed?
On a serious note, is there any reason why the pn ip profile can't be set at the maximum that any customers product can run at?  as our routers and the dslams deal with any sync that isn't stable, I don't understand why we need the ip profile to be set at another level too?  I'm probably missing something obvious.. Embarrassed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When data is being pushed at your line faster than your connection can handle packets get dropped to prevent errors. BT do this to slow the the data rate down to your IP Profile, however they take no account of the type of packet, so they could just as easily let all the packets through for P2P, Usenet, background file downloads while dropping packets for VoIP, streaming and gaming.
Plusnet have a copy of the IP Profile so that they can drop packets hence BT will not drop packets as the data will already be at a rate at or slightly below the IP Profile. When Plusnet drop the packets they will drop the lowest priority packets first so that your VoIP, streaming or gaming experience is not spoilt.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)