cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange congestion?

Bud
Grafter

Exchange congestion?

Is there any way to check for exchange congestion these days?  I have experienced a large drop in peak time speeds (19Mb to 3Mb) which slowly starts speeding up after 10pm and then after midnight the full speed returns.  Exchange is NSSNS.
17 REPLIES 17
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Exchange congestion?

Bud,
If your router supports WAN side ping then a TBB BQM is a useful way of visualising your line's behaviour.  If I'm teaching you to suck eggs...  Embarrassed
ISPs do get status reports for Exchanges / VLANS, but from those which I have seen, working through them to find the relevant information is rather painful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bud
Grafter

And again its back down to sub 3Mb speeds tonight.

That's last nights graph. 
cedlor
Grafter

Anything in your household switched on at 6 and off at 10?
If the problem is evident now, try switching things off.
Bud
Grafter

Nope nothing is on timers and there is nothing switch on at 6 and off at 10, and was previously fine.
BT wholesale test reports a faster speed than the other speed testers I have used and is shown below
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.43 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 19.88 Mbps

Line is synced at 22538/1251 and the plus net line speed is listed as 19.8 and the line is approx 275 meters from the exchange and is EO.
SNR Margin (dB)         3.0 7.0
Attenuation (dB)         11.0 6.9
Output Power (dBm) 19.1 12.0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@cedlor,
This has nothing to do with interference.
@Bud,
This certainly looks like exchange congestion, or you are doing a lot of streaming at that time?  Can you please confirm that the speed tests were run over Ethernet cable with the wifi switched off and no other devices using the internet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bud
Grafter

Wired.  Did some tests from a wireless device and wired and they are both reporting similar speeds.
Did a new BT wholesale one wired and it has given the following
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 19.88 Mbps
Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
@cedlor,
This has nothing to do with interference.

Gets that out of the way then Smiley
Cant spot any "known" problems for that exchange however as a lot of Scotland is  on MBORC maybe that is affecting routing/congestion during the 6-12 peak time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Bud,
Guess you had better raise a fault report then - see link in my sig.

Bud
Grafter

Raised a fault report,  will see what they say if its anything like the last time I suffered congestion they will want to apply interleaving which won't help in this case.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That was strange advice!  Interleaving is an error correction 'tool' which has no bearing on congestion!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's the automatic fob the user off response to all faults! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bud
Grafter

Yes, they even use that response when the line already has interleaving applied!
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
ISPs do get status reports for Exchanges / VLANS, but from those which I have seen, working through them to find the relevant information is rather painful.

It's actually quite straightforward.
Quote from: Bud
Is there any way to check for exchange congestion these days?  I have experienced a large drop in peak time speeds (19Mb to 3Mb) which slowly starts speeding up after 10pm and then after midnight the full speed returns.  Exchange is NSSNS.

Stromness 21CN SVLAN is red (with no estimated fix date). I cannot see the updated 20CN reports yet.
cedlor
Grafter

Wow - great I couldnt see anything where I looked half the sites dont even have the update to ADSL2+
Please can you share the where and how
mav:quote