cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everytime I go away

gordo
Grafter

Everytime I go away

No not a Paul Young song, everytime I leave my computer to go nd either make a coffee or have a smoke, I return to find the connection has dropped, and have to wait for it to start again, or it just had started and the little warning note I have set up is displayed.
The router is under a year old but suppose that could be the problem.  Now to what I think it may well be but can't be sure, this is a rented house and the tennants before me whether first generation or later ; got into the socket and mucked things about. They use to have two lines at the house.  I have only one, and had to stick the box back into the wall and only just managed to sort out their hodge podge DIY wiring.  The router is now set up in the same room as the xocket is instead of traveling outside all round the house and in a bedroom and out again into the conservatory to the dining room.  yea it was bad.
My problem is if I call BT I will have no doubts I will have to pick up the hefty charges as the landlord already have said you have a live live ..end of story.  So I suppose I am stuck with it.
19 REPLIES 19
James
Grafter

Re: Everytime I go away

Hi Gordo,
Is your connection wired or wireless?
If you're talking about a wired connection, make sure that your router is wired into your master socket via a filter, all of your used sockets are filtered and try using different filters.
It would also be a good idea to try using a different router if at all possible.
gordo
Grafter

Yep it is a wired connection,  both sockets are filtered  the one with the router and the ne with telephone on.  as I said Router is less than a year old the same as the filters. 
I had the router just sitting on a shelf of the desk, and noticed it was quite warm so raised it up on two small block to let air get all the way round it.  that made no difference; will have to see who among friends has a router I can borrow for a while
thanks again for a speedy response.
James
Grafter

Just because they're less than a year old, doesn't mean that they work properly Smiley
See if you can borrow some equipment from a friend just to ensure that it's not your kit causing the problem, and causing a call out charge from BT if that were found to be the case.
gordo
Grafter

Just because they're less than a year old, doesn't mean that they work properly

Yep how true, but sometimes that is about the only benchmark we have  Grin  I am 50 and my mrs reckon I still work well Grin
paulby
Grafter

@gordo
It may also be worth checking that your router has no idle timeouts set, i.e. any box marked "always on" in its setup is ticked or, if there's an idle timeout, setting the time to 0 usually does the trick.

What make and model of router is it?
James
Grafter

I'd also like to thank you because I keep singing "Everytime I look around" in my head and I can't get rid of it!
I've had a look at your connection logs and I can see numerous physical drops.  There's an issue with any of:
- Your router
- Your filters
- Your internal wiring
- Your telephone line
- The BT exchange
We need to get the top 3 isolated first before we get BT involved.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Every time I go away......................................................You take a piece of MEAT??? with you
Cheesy Grin
gordo
Grafter

Embarrassed  sorry .. 
router  Dynamode R-ASDL-C4-2 
I'll have a look through the settings and check....

Grin    Like that Ian.
Constant Craving    or      Can't stand Gravy    KD Lang
paulby
Grafter

No need to apologise!!
If it's any help, here is a link to the router's quick start guide. 
You can set the idle timeout on the configuration page (in stage 3).  You need to make sure that the figure is 0 and that the "Automatic Reconnect" box is ticked.
It looks like those are the defaults though - so if you've checked and they are set as described then you'll need to try another router, filters, etc. as per Jamseh's post.
Also, this link to the full manual may be of use.
James
Grafter

I don't think it's related to idle timeouts as there's no similarities in the connection periods.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

James, I can't see how you could tell from your end by looking at the periods. You'd have to know when he left his PC and see if it disconnected the same length of time afterwards. So unless you've got a spy camera...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I'd expect to see some similarities in connection length, especially overnight when chances are, he's not at his machine.
gordo
Grafter

It just went a fw seconds a go when I was sitting here.  looking through the router settings
I haven't a clue what this means  it is in the DSL Status window on the router pages

Super Frame Errors  downstream 2    Upstream 0 

Santiago
Grafter

@gordo.I would recheck your internal wiring. Have a read of this article and this one
just the wires in terminals 2 and 5 remain (which are usually blue/white and white/blue)
NB! If your wiring has different colours, remember it's not the colour that matters, it's what is connected to terminal 3 and 4 that needs to be removed.

Disconnecting the orange bellwire can make a big improvement in connection stabilty