Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every sync... identical speed???

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Every sync... identical speed???

Sometimes I do turn off the router e.g. when away for more than a day, or when the room is needed as a bedroom.
My sync is always at the same speed: I supposed it would vary. Does it point to a banded profile, or is there another explanation?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Every sync... identical speed???

You're on a 3-6Mbps banded profile and you're syncing at the top end. It looks like the connection's nice and stable, other than 2 drops today which I'm assuming were caused by router reboots?
Please report this to the Faults Team as a speed fault with a note to request the banding be removed, there should be no problem actioning this for you.
Luzern
Hero

Thanks. You're spot on. One was comically accidental. Butterfingers was looking for some info on the surge protector and managed to power everything off. ::). The other was a momentary power outage,probably from a fairly near substation flicking over.
Am going away for about 10 days on Thursday, so will be shutting all down until return when I may raise fault.
May I ask a slightly OT question?
Bit loading normally shows up to tone #280ish but now there are tones up to #320 @ 1bit, not seen before. Puzzled.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The extra tones will be in use due to slightly better SNR margins on the individual tones, this is why you see slightly different synchronisation speeds at different times. On ADSL2+, each tone can support one bin which gives you 4kbps sync. So your 40 extra tones as a minimum could give 160kbps extra sync Smiley
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: lucerne
Am going away for about 10 days on Thursday, so will be shutting all down until return when I may raise fault.
When I powered up on return I synced @ 7290kbps and that has been maintained. Before I raise fault, does that increased sync rate mean that banding has come off without my intervention?
My BT and PN Profile are still 5500
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lucerne,
The banding has not been lifted, it's currently set between 4864Kbps - 9728Kbps so once you sync near the higher rate consistently it will rise again. If you stay at 7290 your profile will lift to 6000k
Jojo Smiley
Luzern
Hero

Thanks JoJo Smiley
From what  Ben said I am surprised that the banding has moved up a notch to what you quote. I thought they were cast in stone.
With router's reported attenuation 47dB is there much to be gained by still asking for the banding to be removed once the sync rate has reached its likely peak.
Quote from: Ben
You're on a 3-6Mbps banded profile and you're syncing at the top end. It looks like the connection's nice and stable, other than 2 drops t....
Please ...]report this.to the Faults Team as a speed fault with a note to request the banding be removed, there should....
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lucerne,
have a look here. The graph shows the different banded profiles and bearing in mind your attenuation I would say that if you're getting a good sync rate then it wouldn't matter if you were banded or not.
Jojo Smiley