cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening speeds on FTTC

zackarydoo
Grafter

Evening speeds on FTTC

This is the second day of having FTTC, and I see that the evening download speed is far far lower than full speed. During the day I get around 74Mbps on a speed test, but in both evenings since having it installed, it's gone down to between 20Mbps and 30Mbps.
I did a lot of research of which ISP to go with, and Plusnet seemed the best for price and performance, going by other user's experiences. I'm aware that I could pay an extra £5 per month to get higher priority, but I was led to believe it was barely necessary. I'd accept a small decrease in speed, but to go down to 20-30Mbps seems pretty bad when my line is capable of 74Mbps. If I can cope with a lower limit per month (I don't yet know what my usage will be like), then I may as well have the slower package if this is the way it's always going to be.
How do others feel? Will this be the way it continues to be or is it just a bad 2 days?
8 REPLIES 8
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Evening speeds on FTTC

Hi zackarydoo,
That's a big drop in speed, shouldn't be seeing anything like that.
Are you connecting wired or wireless? No issues on our side at the moment.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which speed test are you using?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zackarydoo
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I've tried 4 or maybe 5 speed tests, and they give similar results. I've used speedtest.net, speedtest.uk.net, the BT beta tester, the Visualware one and I think one other.
During the evening last night and the night before it went to a minimum of 20Mbps, and it was roughly that this morning too when I did some tests. I tried again around 11am and it was fine again. I hadn't made any changes and I'd be surprised if there was any more or less network congestion at 9am/10am compared to 11am.
I am sometimes using wired and sometimes wireless (right next to router). I have found that when using wireless on the same laptop in the same place, that it consistently gives me a full speed reading when my wired PC does. So although I'm double-checking it with my wired connection, I've pretty much proved to myself that the wifi connection from the same place will give a full speed reading when it's available.
There is a rectified loop line fault here that the engineer found when installing fibre that was causing problems, that is cleared by disconnecting all the extensions. So that is how the engineer left it (I'm awaiting a call from BT to come and fix that), so I have my phone plugged directly into the master socket for now. So I can't see how that would cause any issues but I thought it worth mentioning anyway.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you could run a few speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ when you are noticing a slow down in speeds then I can have a look at your results.
zackarydoo
Grafter

Ok will do. I did use that one earlier when things were faster, and just did again and it's slowing down now. I'm on wifi at the moment so will do it again later this evening on Ethernet, and will post again to let you know.
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Preferable through ethernet where possible.
Let me know when you have done them.
zackarydoo
Grafter

I have just done the test and despite the time, I'm getting 71Mbps down and 18Mbps up, which is nearly what I get off-peak. So maybe it's been a glitch? I'll do another test later and if it's low I'll add to this thread. I don't want to go on about it if it's just the odd slow-down as that's bound to happen now and then, but it did seem to be all the last 2 evenings and also this morning.
I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if it goes very slow again. In the mean time I'll try to enjoy my new fast Internet instead of using up my monthly allowance with speed tests.  Grin
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Keep an eye on your connection and let us know how you get on. Everything's certainly OK from our side Smiley