Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening speed issues

pjshots

Evening speed issues

Hi there,
Some background info first.....
During day hours + after 12 midnight, speed constant 7Meg, approx, great speed, etc, no matter what site I download from, go to; apple's, rapidshare, other downloads, torrents, etc.
IN the evening, I've tried on several different days to download from Apple.com (a 500MB update) and also other sites; tonight its nokia's site. They seems not to go over 30KBs, maybe a little more sometimes, but thats it. Browsing is ok and speedtest.net is also, so why the slow down when downloading?
Any one got any ideas? I've tried a different router/PC/mac laptop, etc, no different. I"ve even had issues with MS's site, which at work I get 20MBs+ at the same time.
Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Evening speed issues

Hi, Welcome to the forum, I think what your experiencing is due to Plusnet's Traffic Shaping, See here for more info on what i mean, Just select what product your on from the dropdown box and all will be revealed..http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pjshots

Surely if the information on that site is true, why would this slow down Microsoft or Apple's download sites? I get the rapidshare/torrent thing (don't see why since I pay for a good service, so my speed shouldn't be effected I don't personally think) however, what would cause these sites to go slow if they're not on the plusnet 'slow down' list?
Any ideas?  Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its the agent that Microsoft uses, they dont come direct from microsoft
bakerbloke
Dabbler

Hi,
I don't know what package you're on - but a 500 Mb update would seriously eat into my quota and so I would either 1) Download it at work (as I see it operating system updates are fair game for downloading at work) 2) Queue the download for the start of the Plusnet non-quota period when speeds are maximal anyway (I forget what the exact hours are but I queue my downloads to begin after midnight) - although I guess queuing updates is not really an option as you need to be present to click the various boxes for agreeing to Apple's terms and conditions.
If you have a work VPN you can log into - then for work-related urgent downloads the VPN probably isn't  traffic-shaped - I think - anyone out there able to confirm this? Although workplace VPN activity is usually monitored.
Someone I know remotely operates his home computer from work (he can even do it from his phone!) - and he can wake it from sleep mode to get his computer to carry out the downloading during the daytime ready for when he gets home.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
@pjshots, Apple updates are distributed by a third party, and come under the download sites section of this page here.
For full speeds at all time you'd need to be on our Pro product.
@bakerbloke, VPN is rate limited on some products at peak (usually to 2Mb).
pjshots

Hi
@bakerbloke - I'm on the 80GB package, so it doesn't matter when I download for now as I keep an eye on my quota. The was for 10.6.3 for osx; a 1 off as it were.
@mand - Slow though, 40kbps, and a bit pointless it I rebuild a pc at night when Windows Vista/7 download about that many updates, takes ages. Thanks for the info, will just bear with it for now; hopefully when my exchange gets upgraded sometime in the next 10 years it'll be a bit quicker in peak times.
Seems that the Internet these days is a little unfair sometimes really. When I was with Virgin Media before I moved I got 10Mb all the time; unless you went over 1GB but then it only went down to about 2Mb not the figure above. PN not so good in evenings; but at least I can still play xbox, which is good enough while those updates trickle down my capped reduced line that I'm paying to be 7Mb. PN used to be a good service, but this traffic handling is bad and slow.