Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evening slow down with low noise and packet loss

Nick85
Hooked

Evening slow down with low noise and packet loss

Hi,

For the last 3 days I have encountered extremely slow download speeds from about 8pm onwards, varying from 0.1mbps to 1.5mbps. Normal line speed is around 10, profile is at 11.91 according to the btwholesale speed test. Rest of the day we get 3-5mbps. Packet loss tests show between 5 and 10% packet loss. Router shows noise margins as being 5.6/0.9. Upload speeds seems unaffected. I've tried the usual, disconnecting all other wired/wireless sources. Tried resetting the connection. Any help to solve this would be appreciated, it makes the internet practically unusable in the evening. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

13 REPLIES 13
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Evening slow down with low noise and packet loss

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

If you can raise a fault here we'll get that looked into.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Nick,

A warm welcome to the forums - how is this progressing?

Matthew,

Has this case been profiled against the S-Vlan stuff Gandalf has been looking at?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nick85
Hooked

Hi guys, apologies for the late reply. 

The problem seems to have actually resolved itself for now, so I haven't logged the fault on the link provided earlier. Current speed test is roughly 9.5 mbps down, 1 mbps up, ping of 35. If I have any further problems i'll bump this thread!

Cheers for the assistance anyway!

Nick

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Please watch carefully for time related slow downs - such can point to exchange capacity issues ... which the standard fault diagnostics are not likely to identify, though they might rule out other issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nick85
Hooked

That was one of my first thoughts regarding the fault to be honest, especially as I never had issues with my previous ISP at this location. I'll keep an eye on it, if there is any further slow downs in evenings or at weekends i'll post back into this thread! Cheers

Nick85
Hooked

Just to bump this post, I'm having the same issues again and have been for a few weeks, I've just been too busy with work to try sort it. Frustratingly slow internet speeds usually in the evening. Speed tests between 0.5 and 3mb on most evenings. I am wondering if it's a capacity issue, as it is definitely worse at peak times. I am in the process of filling out the fault report posted above, but need to try and connect another router to test. In the mean time does anyone have any guidance?

Currently got the following stats from my router:

7 - Data rate: 1200/11261
8 - Maximum data rate: 1220/12872
9 - Noise margin: 6.3/7.4
10 - Line attenuation: 17.6/36.0
12 - Data sent/received: 604.7M/3.2G

Cheers for any help, want to get this sorted as it's put an end to any online gaming and high quality video steaming, which is basically all I use the internet for (when I have time!)

EDIT: I've now managed to swap out the router and ADSL filter. No improvements. I've reported the fault on the link provided above. Cheers for the help!

Cheers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Might this be another green but hot S-VLAN issue?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Nick85

I have just tested your line and services and can see that your router is syncing with our Network at around about 11Mbps which is within the 6.5 - 14Mbps Estimated Speed Range our supplier has provided for your line.

There were some changes made to your line on the 5th by a different member of staff (click here to view the ticket on your account explaining what was done) and since then I can see a very stable connection, with only one drop (today), how has it been at your end?

Could you conduct a wired speed test on www.speedtest.btwholesale.com and let us know the results?

@Townman I have checked the VLAN and it is all fine, this does not seem to be related to what @Gandalf was looking into.

Hope this helps,

Alisdair

Nick85
Hooked

Hi Alisdair,

Sorry for the late reply. I've just carried out the BT speedtest and the connection is strong at over 10mb down, 1mb up and ping of around 40ms, at 7.30pm. The issues definitely seem to have improved so many thanks for the help. The connection seems stable at my end too. Out of interest, the feedback provided said that the "Workplace Profile" was set incorrectly, could you please explain what that is just for my records? 

Many thanks for the help,

Nick.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Nick, glad to hear the connections looking better than has been. I can see looking back at the changes made on your account and connection that the only this changed is "Workplace profile was mismatched and has been updated" however this is a little misleading as it shouldn't have any effect on your service and is more so the automated system keeping things neat this side.
I feel it may have just been a good evening when monitoring your side and given how intermittent the issue seems to be. There are still signs of errors on your connection and I imagine when flaring up it's what ever is causing these which give the the speed and ping issues.

I'd suggest to monitor from here and if you do notice the ping and speed issues return to run through one last check your side before we go down the route of getting an engineer out top investigate further.

The internal check I'd recommend would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the lack of speed and ping issues stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the issues do persist and you do find yourself in this set-up then I'd recommend further wired speed tests to see if the problem persists. If so then we will arrange an engineer to come out and investigate further. Let us know how it goes. - Benj

Nick85
Hooked

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for not replying till now! I've been giving it time to see how the issues are getting on, and unfortunately seem to be having the same issues. Just did a number of speed tests all with download speeds sub 1.5Mb/s, and pings from 60 to 100ms. That was at roughly 1830pm. The issues do seem to be more frequent in an evening to be honest. We've been connected through the test socket for a few months now, so can definitely rule that out! Any more advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

BTw speed tests?

Which browser?

There are a lot of reports of FF and Chrome being defective with the BTw speed test.

Nick85
Hooked

Hi Townman,

It was the BT wholesale speed tests, and using Chrome. I'll try again during peak period using Internet Explorer at peak time, my connection is ok at this time.

Cheers