cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet prob

ArthurDent
Grafter

Ethernet prob

Tried to contact plusnet this a.m. re an irritation but gave up after 15mins. OK, Monday morning is the wrong time to ring and, in fairness, it's not their problem anyway. So I'm hoping one of you whizzies will be able to give me a pointer.
We have four bits of kit:: a laptop connected by wireless, two ipads similar, and a desktop running through ethernet. The latter has sometimes caused a prob in the past few days. The  reason it's on ethernet is because I found ages ago that due to its location it doesn't get a good wireless signal from the router. Under ethernet its been happy for a couple of years - until now.
Router is a TPLink W8968 - again operating OK for some time. Both PCs use both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Not on fibre.
Sometimes the desktop (only, I think) comes up with messages like:
-  Dial-up connection. Select the  service you want to connect to. 

-  Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE).
-  Error connecting to Broadband connection. Connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE). Error 651: the modem or other connecting device has reported an error. 
After it makes a few redial attempts it decides to work!
Seemed to me that perhaps it isn't using ethernet? Perhaps some sort of incomprehensible change to the set up? But why?
Tried reseating the ethernet cable and changing port on the router. Reset the router some days ago (because speed had dropped) so am loth to do it again unless you expert guys think it essential.
I'd appreciate any suggestions from you folks - in simple non-techie terms please!

13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ethernet prob

That is almost certainly a Windows/Internet Explorer setting problem
Which version of Windows are you running
Alternatively a just may be a duff cable or a network card fault
ArthurDent
Grafter

Should have said: PCs both run under Win8.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks for that prompt response, Jim.
Seems to occur just a couple of times a day.
Do hope it's not a cable fault because of the way I snaked it around the house years ago. I'm not as nimble as I used to be.
Appears to happen on GC as well as IE.
But tell me, please, how can I check/amend the Win8 settings you mention?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry
I can't help there as I don't use it
However my reference to IE was that the Internet connection settings are usually set there for Windows
To get to them in IE it is usual to go to Tools then Internet Options then Connections
This is what I have
steveuk
Grafter

For windows 8 it's control panel then internet options then click the connections tab.
Where it says dial up this should be blank as far as i know but depends on how your connected to the internet.
If your using a router that auto connects you to the net then you should not need anything in the dial up box.
At the bottom of the connections box you should see lan settings, If you go into that tab make sure automaticlly detect settings is ticked and nothing else.
Hope that helps.
@Oldjim sorry i didn't notice the pics you posted hehe.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thank you for your input on this irritation. I thought it had cracked it - but No!
I've also tried changing preferred browser to Google Chrome. No difference, except that emails sent through Outlook now just sit in outbox with a message saying there's a prob. Sending from Gmail seems OK.
Have now referred the aggravation to plusnet techies in hope of  a solution but there's a 36hr delay.
Cheers   
Routefinder
Grafter

Sorry if I missed it but can you be specific.  Is it just the desktop PC or not?
As I read it it sounds like only one of them is giving you a headache.................if so then to me it seems that maybe you have a failing network card and (maybe?) the W8 default position if the network card is not available/detectable is try to dial up the connection though does that PC have a modem?  Possibly W8 and/or the PC have both got their knickers in a twist.
Perhaps updating the network card drivers might help?
If both PC's with the same error/problem reporting then I that is a head scratcher???
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks RF.
Her indoors (who uses the laptop) hasn't bent my ear about encountering that prob, so it does seem limited to my desktop.
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: ArthurDent
Thanks RF.
Her indoors (who uses the laptop) hasn't bent my ear about encountering that prob, so it does seem limited to my desktop.

Hi Arthur :lol: I just noticed your post count @ 42......................so I hope holding onto your towel will help solve the problem Wink  Though maybe it needs the insight of "Deep Thought" Wink
Back to the case ~ hope you can sort it OK but it does sounds like the PC network or its driver and/or W8 has an issue?
Edit, might help but unsure if W8 is the same as older versions?  try Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options Under “Connections” tab, check the box, “Never dial a connection”, Click “Apply” and then OK. Done
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Could simply be the network drivers are having  a bad day.
  From the desktop right click the start button, select device manager then network adapters. Double click the ethernet one, it will open  up a new window.  Select the Driver tab.  Click disable and say yes  to the warning.  After it has blinked the button will change to enable, click that and it will restart the network.
One "problem" with Windows8 is that when you turn it it off it goes into a sleep state rather than a full shutdown  so stuff  doesn't always get  reset.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Cheers, all you guys.
Have now had a good response from [mremoved] at PN, who has clearly given a lot of thought to this because it was a very full reply. I have followed it closely and am hoping.  
Don't know where the 'dial-up PPPoE'  and 'WAN miniport' came from. Not something I would knowing get into but he gave me instructions to get rid. Perhaps as you wrote, wisty, W8 decided to do it's own thing?
Watch this space . . .  
dick:csa
ArthurDent
Grafter

So far, so good!
A supplementary question, though, which I know has been asked before. Remind me, why is there such a disparity in latency depending on who reports it::
BTW - 47
Thinkbroadband - 32
Speedtest (ookla) - 24
OK, I know there's going to be a brief time lag between them but that difference seems excessive! Who do I believe?
Routefinder
Grafter

Not sure but I surmise the latency (and the ping) times are down to the end point being accessed for the measurements?  So each of the 3 testers is accessing a different 'site' to take the measurement from.