Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet not working, wireless works but can't connect on certain devices

julz
Hooked

Ethernet not working, wireless works but can't connect on certain devices

hi,

I had my broadband activated a few days ago (Oct 9th), and my wifi seems to be working fine. However, on my PC it can't detect the wifi but can detect our neighbours wifi? (But wifi is working completely fine on my phone and other devices). But every so often our wifi crashes and my PC can use the wifi until the next crash. So i tried to use the ethernet, but it just keeps saying an ethernet cable is not connected. Do i need to plug a LAN cable from router to the ethernet port in order for the other rooms ethernet ports to work?

thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Ethernet not working, wireless works but can't connect on certain devices

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand your post.  Does your PC actually have a Wi-Fi card?  Most don't.  As for an ethernet (network) port, most PC's do have one.  Is the network port on your PC set to fully automatic?  Has it ever been set to a static IP?  On a new router I wouldn't expect the wireless signal to 'crash' whatever that means.  I've used wireless routers in many, many premises and never had it 'crash'.  I've had routers fail and not transmit any wireless, certainly.  Try this: take a network cable from your router (say port 1) to your PC, there should only be one place on a home PC has where it will fit so plug it in that hole, turn on your PC and if it hasn't been 'played with' it will just work.  Unless you know how to release and renew an IP address, restart your PC every time you change / plug in / unplug the network cable.

Live long and prosper!
julz
Hooked

hi, thanks for your reply! 

Yes my PC has a wifi card, and it works so I can connect to the internet sometimes. But other times its unable to find my router but can detect my neighbours wifi if that makes any sense (but my laptop and phone have full signals from my routers wifi).

I'm not too sure if my network port is set to fully automatic, I googled it and typed in "ipconfig /all: in cmd and under Ethernet adapter Ethernet it says "Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes", is that correct?

For the crash, we've been told by plusnet that in the first week of using their broadband the wifi may be unstable, but basically from my understanding its when all 5 of us (flatmates and myself) are using the internet at the same time and the internet would just restart itself. (This mainly happens at night) so the wifi would be down for a few minutes.

Yes, my flatmate living in the room where the router is has his PC plugged into the router and it works perfectly fine, but my other flatmate and myself live in other rooms with the Ethernet port from the wall which doesn't seem to work.

julz
Hooked

btw I googled it again and got properties from the Ethernet and its set to obtain an IP address automatically (DNS as well)

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you split the 24.ghz and 5ghz networks? Phones and other gadgets usually are more up to date and will use the 5ghz band, whereas your pc will probably on;y see the 2.4ghz band. If you split them and call one (for example) home and home-5G, you can then choose the network you wish to connect your device to.

Mark

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

For your ethernet issue, you need to go back to basics - the port in your room needs to be connected to the router - a physical connect which could be a direct cable, or via a switch - but then that too needs to be connected to the router - also you will need a lead from your laptop to the port in your room - alas magic  is a poor option for mere mortals.

It sounds like there is some sort of distribution system set up, but maybe all is not plugged in. 

julz
Hooked

hi thank you for your reply,

I didnt know that, thank you very much will certainly do so!!

julz
Hooked

hi mustrum, thanks for your reply!

sorry I don't fully understand, does that mean if the router is downstairs in my flatmates room I will have to find a way to connect it upstairs?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@julz yes, you will need to have a look in your flatmates room - it may be that the router should be connected to a central part of the building which already has wires to the rooms - or they are in the room mates room - but they must go somewhere, so you will need to have a closer look.

julz
Hooked

@Mustrum okay got it! Thank you all very much for the replies!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @julz,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your connection, and welcome to the forum. We would advise you contact the technical support team for your service on 0800 0121 098, as they will be able to check the connection, as well as walk you through trouble shooting.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team