Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet failed, then no internet

keletkezes
Dabbler

Ethernet failed, then no internet

Hi everyone,

Returned to my Win10 desktop and woke it from sleep to find a problem with the ethernet: it was unconnected. No lights on network port on PC, not green light by the port on the router.  Tried a different cable and all 4 ports on the router, no luck.  Tried connecting the same cables to my Win10 laptop, and got lights, the same from all router ports. But on the laptop there was one static green light and the flashing connection light was amber.  Tried a few suggestions from https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000445.htm and on the desktop got a ping on the network card but noting on the connection, and on the laptop got a ping on both but some errors (I don't have to hand, sorry) on the connection but I could access the default gateway etc. information.  I reset the router (and computers) multiple times and after the third of fourth time resetting the router I lost internet: it had been functional on wifi up until this point.  Wifi still works, just no internet.  The broadband, internet and wifi lights are on on the router, as normal, but the ethernet one is only on when connected to my laptop.  On wifi the network name has reverted back to the original router name and password: we had changed both the name and password. On ethernet on the laptop it's still called what we renamed it to.

I tried pinging Google from Command Prompt but it failed.  I then tried the tracert function and it failed after step 3 (again, I don't have a decent record of this right now).

I'm using a PC offsite right now, so I'll be unable to respond right away but I'll check back in the morning/sometime tomorrow.  And despite my use of Command Prompt I'm not hugely tech-savvy, but I can follow decent instructions 😜

5 REPLIES 5
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Ethernet failed, then no internet

You seem to like the nuclear option so go into device manager on the desktop in question, expand the network adapters and delete everything there, then reboot.

keletkezes
Dabbler

Thanks Browni, I'll try it: there was nothing untoward in the Network Adapters so the worst it'll do it is keep the problem the same!

Anyone have any ideas about the internet?  I'm going to re-setup the router to see if that works (as it seems to need that) but if anyone has any further advice it'd be appreciated!

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi there @keletkezes

To check things out what I'd do is power down everything and restart  all equipment  from scratch. Check all connections too.

which router are you using? Can you try an alternative router? If you've had it a few years you might be able to negotiate a replacement with an updated model with PN.  Tech support may offer you a replacement. 

Next  , if you have a master phone  socket connect your router via the test socket and a micro filter after removing the faceplate.

Allow ten or fifteen minutes for the router to settle down then log into the router using an Ethernet cable connection and check that the user name and password have updated to your own username in the format "username@plusdsl.net"  This should happen automatically but if it does not you will need to edit these settings. Then save them.

Hopefully your system will then be ok.

what might have happened? Well it's anyone's guess, but for example there could have been a short power cut or power surge at your property that you were unaware of.  I've known this scenario send a router and a computer into a hissy fit , ruin its settings or even fry the router making it unusable. There are also other potential scenarios that could result in your symptoms such as faulty eldrtical equipment either in your property or nearby. For example microwave ovens are well known cause of problems. 

Are you using any home plug units? If so remove them and see if your symptoms go away. 

Let us know ! 

Good luck. 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @keletkezes

How's your internet now? Did you get your network issue resolved?

Please get in touch if I can assist.

Thanks,

Dave

keletkezes
Dabbler

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I always forget to come back!

I fixed the internet but the ethernet isn't well: green/amber on the netbook and red/amber on the desktop. I suspect the router. But given wifi's working OK I've bought a wifi adapter for the desktop and I'll deal with the ethernet issues when I have time Smiley