cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet disconnects

hawthorn1991

Ethernet disconnects

Hi, I have a recurring problem that the ethernet link between my desktop PC and Thomson TG585v7 modem drops out. after several hours connection. It does this every day and I can't reconnect until the following day. I get an error 651 if I try to reconnect. The laptop stays connected and I can re-connect thedesktop PC wirelessly. When the PC does connect the Windows network information shows the network as "Home" and identifies it as the TG585v7. When it is disconnected it shows it as an unidentified public network. I reported this some time ago to Plusnet, who took me through several routines to try to fix the problem but to no avail; they concluded the problem was with the computer (I had no problem previously when Cry connected to Eclipse via a Netgear modem). Anyway I thought it must be a compatibility problem between Vista and the TG585v7 so I have upgraded to Windows 7 and get the same problem - possibly because the old settings have been transferred. I see several people have problems with the wireless link but tha's fine on my set up. Does any body have any experience of this problem and a solution?
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Ethernet disconnects

Hi Hawthorne,
I get this occasionally on my connection at home - it tends to be when I visit a website with flash, for some reason. Not sure why. Anyway, when it does I open the network connections page (from the network and sharing centre, click 'change adapter settings' in the top left) and then disable and re-enable the ethernet connection (those options are in the right click menu from the connection itself). It's a bit of a bind but has me back online within a couple of minutes, and I'd love to say I know why it happens but I can't advise I'm afraid. I use a D-Link router myself.
hawthorn1991

Thanks Matt, I'll try this next time it disconnects and let you know the result.
carrot63
Grafter

A wild guess, but I wonder if the failure to reconnect could have something to do with DHCP assigned IPs?
hawthorn1991

Thanks Carrot, I was just browsing the various settings and noticed that the Windows info shows the the lan settings as auto detect but the Thomson Gateway page shows the IP addresses as static. Should I reconfigure to disable DHCP server and select auto IP?
carrot63
Grafter

I can't suggest a course of action, I'm afraid. Macs I understand, Windows I don't, but I had occasion recently to have help from Plusnet CS in reconfiguring a Thomson router they'd sent me, and did it on a VIsta laptop I keep for web testing. During the process, I had to do something similar to @Matt Taylors suggestion a couple of times in order to get the PC to reconnect to the router and I think DHCP had a part in it - I think the PC was "hanging on" to the previous DHCP settings, hence my suggestion. As I say, I'm fishing a bit!
I only have the Thomson due to an ongoing fault; my normal Netgear + devices are set up to run as static assignments because DHCP caused too many headaches. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can fill in the gaps.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

FWIW If you put "error 651" in to Google, you will get several what might be helpful hits.
It is also featured in the Windows7 forum
http://www.sevenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3Ahfslqp-2rmq&cof=FORID%3A9&...
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
hawthorn1991

I have disabled DHCP and enabled auto IP - no difference, so switched back. I have started working my way through the Google links for error 651. Lots of posts on the Microsoft forums. Some indicate need to clean up registry but Microsoft techies say don't do this (with dire warnings, which is interesting as the same page on the Windows Sevens forum carries an ad for Uniblu Registry Booster as a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner).
I have tried a clean boot with no change. Running the Windows Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool indicated that the Internet Gateway Device's Network Address Translator Type is symmetric which apparantly is not good (although it should not affect internet connection). I am working my through a list of tools and techniques for troubleshooting performance problems but so far they are saying everything on the computer is as it should be. So I am back to my initial thoughts that the problem is with the Thomson TG585v7. Other advice I have recieved is to go into the bios and operate a "release IP" command, I'm nervous about doing this and will research the methods and consequences before attempting. I'll keep working through the Microsoft advice and let you know when I succeed in fixing the problem.
Cheers
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A bit off-topic but hopefully relevant, my router, a Netgear DG843PN has started playing up whereby the wired ports stop working but wireless and connection to the internet remains up.  When it goes wrong I have tried restarting the computer, connecting the computer to a different wired port, connecting another computer to the same wired port and connecting another computer to a different wired port but none of these work.  The only cure is to restart the router.  So it must be a router problem.  Whatever my computer is doing it shouldn't be possible to get a router to hand all its wired ports.
As a general principle I would have thought if you can cure the problem only by restarting the computer then it is a computer problem.  If you can cure the problem only by restarting the router then it is a router problem.  If both work then it's impossible to say and if neither work then you are in serious trouble!