Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated speeds

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Estimated speeds

why does my line show estimated at 25mbps when the bt line test shows a Current line speed of 34mbps ?
how is this estimation done?
Estimated line speed:
    25Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-10 17:18:03
Current line speed:
    34.4 Mb
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Estimated speeds

Estimated speeds are made against knowledge of the installations and infrastructure.  It is not uncommon for low population cabinets to exhibit higher synch rates than estimates until the population expands, when due to cross talk / loading at designed capacity, the speed falls towards the estimates.
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

30FTTC06
Pro

Cheers  Wink
http://community.plus.net/plusnet-residential-refresh-faq-june-2014/
What’s the difference between the fibre packages?
The difference between the two fibre products will be the speeds that the customer can receive and the Unlimited Fibre Extra package will include Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee Antivirus as standard (no additional cost).
Both Fibre products will be provisioned on 80/20 speeds, however, the Unlimited Fibre (Up to 38Mbps) package will be capped at 40/20 on our side.
xreyuk
Grafter

You will also find that if you checked your line estimate with BT, they would give you a range, called the FTTC Clean 'A' range, and the FTTC Impacted 'B' range.
If your line is free from faults, you should get speeds within the 'Clean' range. To be on the safe side, Plusnet will quote the lowest number in the range, as they don't want to quote numbers in the middle of the range, to only have customers get lower speeds.
For example, for my line, the clean range is 47.2Mbps - 34Mbps. Plusnet, therefore, quoted me 34Mbps. I actually get 46Mbps.
I'm expecting that to decrease slightly over time as more people get on the cabinet however.
30FTTC06
Pro

I guess it makes sense as the estimate i was given when i joined was 38Mbps, maybe the policy has changed to give out the lower speed these days.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

When I joined Plusnet at the beginning of March my estimate was 67Mb I connected at 65Mb, I got a line fault last month which is now fixed which saw my estimate cut by more than half to 29Mb with no warning or reason given by BTO / BTW so just be aware what you have now may not stay that way.