cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated line speed - opt out

Trevor
Grafter

Re: Estimated line speed - opt out

My estimated speed has disappeared too. It's no big deal, but it would be nice to know why - It really doesn't make sense to claim that 'the service was activated before we introduced estimates' since we all know we were provided with estimates when we signed up and some of us have kept the e-mails  Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Maybe there were too many questions like "why is my speed lower than my estimated speed?".
Of course now all the questions are "where has my estimated speed gone?". Cheesy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi folks, no idea what's happened to some of your estimated speeds Huh
Mine's still present so it's not a service-wide problem. My guess would be that we fixed something a while back that's inadvertently broke this for some of you. Interestingly, those affected don't have this field present on their account at all when checking our internal CRM systems (which would explain why it's no longer visible on the portal).
Anyway, a problem has been raised to have it looked into (ref: 66515) but it's not particularly high on the list of priorities at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

amcclean
Rising Star

I have the same issue, my projected speed has been replaced by this text.
linux
Grafter

I suppose it's better to have no information than to have the wrong information, as in my case:
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 3.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-02-21 03:29:44
Current line speed:
    6 Mb

I'm curious as to where the "Estimated line speed" actually comes from. At the time it was last "checked", my actual IP profile would have been around 4 or 5 Mb; certainly nowhere near the 1.0Mb quoted above. Where does this figure of 1.0Mb come from, and how was it "checked"?
mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I get this message too: "Estimated line speed:    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates)."
I am a long-term customer - out in the sticks, getting about 1.5Mbps, but it's dropped to much longer latency than usual in the last week or so, which I guess is unrelated. (sigh).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: linux
I'm curious as to where the "Estimated line speed" actually comes from. At the time it was last "checked", my actual IP profile would have been around 4 or 5 Mb; certainly nowhere near the 1.0Mb quoted above. Where does this figure of 1.0Mb come from, and how was it "checked"?

It's taken from here. It's worth bearing in mind that the results from that particular check are not static and do have a tendency to vary over time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

linux
Grafter

Thanks Bob. Yes, BT does indeed state my line "currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1Mbps". Perhaps that estimate was calculated years ago before the upgrade to ADSL Max, or is a default in the absence of actual information, or is a bug in BT's database.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From that link on my phone number
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 500Kbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 250Kbps and 1.5Mbps.
Current stats
Noise Margin:     5.9   dB
Connection Rate:  4576  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 50.0  dB
Uptime over 2 weeks
Note that the IP profile hasn't dropped below 3,500 ever since I had the noise margin reset after moving to 21CN ADSL1 and getting the BT system glitch sorted out in September/October  last year
Also why is the ADSL 2+ Annex-M  so appallingly bad
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I don't know if this helps with the diagnosis of the problem of disappearing estimates:  I am a fairly long term Plusnet customer  (2004). When estimates were first introduced mine showed as "Estimated line speed:    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).". Then about a year ago I got an estimate of 6M which was the then current line speed - (thanks to a bit of  judicious  DGTeam firmware tweaking). Now like others I have gone back to the "...not recorded" position.
Fifer
Grafter

Other way round here, used to get the Estimated line speed:  Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates)  now get this, been a Plusnet customer since 2008.
this is the first time this has appeared.
Postcode:
Phone exchange:
   LOCHGELLY
Estimated line speed:
   8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-03-17 16:26:14
Current line speed:
   7.15 Mb
Don't know why. It was there when i looked at it recently.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FYI all, I'll be doing my best to raise awareness of this issue today and hopefully gain some priority for the problem that Bob has mentioned.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
redsox10
Grafter

Thanks, it would be interesting to see the outcome.  After the problem was twice given an ID number and consigned to the "not particularly high on the list of priorities" drawer I thought we would not hear anything more for months.
grahamt
Rising Star

It doesn't really matter, as you've already got enough examples, but for the record I've also seen my estimated speed replaced by the 'Not recorded.." message. I did change product (only affected my phone product, but I guess that doesn't matter) in January, but I'm pretty sure the estimated speed was still present for several weeks after the change. I think it stopped being shown about 3 weeks ago, but I could be out by several days.
I didn't report it when I first saw it because I thought I'd wait and see if the estimated speed would come back - and in any case it's not a big issue for me.
Graham
MrT
Grafter

My Estimated Speed was present from June 2010 until about a month ago.
I've changed nothing other than switching my router off for 2 weeks while I was on holiday in the middle of March.
So I await the explanation!