Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors re DHCP client in Windows 7

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Errors re DHCP client in Windows 7

I am having general problems with my computer, and have found messages like:
Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0xC417FE9C2A38.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server
The IP address lease 192.168.1.64 for the Network Card with network address 0x00256485166C has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.254 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
From other reading I believe they relate to some incompatibility in Windows 7/ router ( in my case TG582N) with IPV6 being enabled in the
network adapter.
Is this a known problem particular that router, and apart from disabling as mentioned above, is there a better cure?
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Errors re DHCP client in Windows 7

As those are windows error messages I'd suspect it's an issue with the network card.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I have Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) PCs using wireless and wired connections and IPv6 is enabled. I have no issues with the TG582N router I use.
Dan
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This isn't some sort of conflict between a device with a fixed IP address and a device with the same IP address but DHCP-assigned is it?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The log message could be unrelated to your general computer problems.
Did the computer succeed in getting an IP address a short time later? It will also be in the log. It could just mean that the computer couldn't renew the same IP address it previously had because that had since been assigned to some other device.
Luzern
Hero

@RR As yet I've had no need for fixed addresses.
@ ejs. I must have st sometime, but I was having some awful problems with failed starts, hangs and what else one could name, so have not focussed much on that.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
NedLudd
Grafter

Those messages are about 2 different network cards. Do you have a ethernet and a Wifi connection in the one machine?
Geoff,
York.
Luzern
Hero

Yes, ATM wireless to  wife's IPOD and wired via HomePlugs to IPlayer in Foxsat+ PVR. See attachment
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The errors refer to two network adapters in your PC (not the router).  One is made by Foxconn (Hon Hai) and the other is made by Dell. 
Your PDF appears to show one PC connected both wirelessly and wired.  Although there's nothing wrong with this, try disabling one of the connections.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: lucerne
The IP address lease 192.168.1.64 for the Network Card with network address 0x00256485166C has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.254 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

This happens when the client (your computer) asks for the IP address it used previously and either the DHCP server has issued it to another computer as it was not in use, the range of addresses available has changed to exclude this address or it is used external to the DHCP service (fixed IP). It should not affect your connection as the DHCP server should "offer" an alternative address and the client should accept that (a lot of "should" as I'm hedging my bets - otherwise replace them with "will").
Any decent DHCP server, when receiving an IP renewal request within its range, will check if it has been issued and, if not, will attempt to find a device using that address on the network before issuing it.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: pwatson
The errors refer to two network adapters in your PC (not the router).  One is made by Foxconn (Hon Hai) and the other is made by Dell. 
Your PDF appears to show one PC connected both wirelessly and wired.  Although there's nothing wrong with this, try disabling one of the connections.

An idea, yes! But what is really achieved by that, when we have used both connections simultaneously, and will?
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: PeeGee

This happens when the client (your computer) asks for the IP address it used previously and either the DHCP server has issued it to another computer as it was not in use, the range of addresses available has changed to exclude this address or it is used external to the DHCP service (fixed IP). It should not affect your connection as the DHCP server should "offer" an alternative address and the client should accept that (a lot of "should" as I'm hedging my bets - otherwise replace them with "will").
Any decent DHCP server, when receiving an IP renewal request within its range, will check if it has been issued and, if not, will attempt to find a device using that address on the network before issuing it.

I'll be honest about my limitations :), but isn't the router the DHCP server in simple set ups? I use PN's TG582N, so are you saying it is not good in that respect?
Get a better router; or is there another solution? ( FWIW the router's used on a ADSL2+ connection F/w 8.44.J).
dick:green Quote tag fixed.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: lucerne
]An idea, yes! But what is really achieved by that, when we have used both connections simultaneously, and will?

Not clear what you mean by this reply...
The PC '...don-PC' has both a wireless and wired connection to the router.  You only *need* to connect via one method so try disabling the wireless adapter or unplugging the ethernet cable.
I'm also not clear about the particular problem you have?  As mentioned above, the error regarding 192.168.1.64 may be related to the normal request/respond nature of DHCP.  Without knowing which NIC is which hampers further diagnosis.  Do you have intermittent network access or just when you reboot?
Are there lots of these errors?  Do they coincide with the PC reporting 'Limited connectivity' and getting a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address?
What happens if you open a command window and type 'ipconfig /release' followed by 'ipconfig /renew'?
Have you tried configuring your PC with a static address rather than using DHCP?
Luzern
Hero

I think I may have got myself in to a codger confuserometer. When you mentioned disabling one of the connections, I hadn't thought router to computer, but of the appliances connected to. Embarrassed
Have disabled wireless adapter and checked that wife has connection to her Ipod.
Thanks for that, :). I'll now see if the action has beneficial effects on the other problems with my PC system's operabilty.