cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE

Rojam

I hate this, I really hate this. Ive spent 6hours trying to solve this i have phoned xbox they told me to ring plus net , i rang plus net they say ring xbox because they cant help.

Ok From the Top. I need 2 DNS server so i type in start - cmd - ipconfig/all
this is what i get :
DNS SERVERS ....................:192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip ..............:Enabled
No sign of a second DNS sever.
When i spoke to PN they told me my DNS severs are
great thats two so i enter Xbox network config and entered it manually.Nothing. try automatic. Nothing.
So then off to Thomson gatway which tells me my DNS servers are :
Primary DNS: 212.159.6.9
Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.10
now im confused?? So back to xbox : --
Manual/auto both errors come up. (in the mean time im reseting router turning xbox on and off ect nothing seems to work.
Ive downloaded the latest drives for the router

Product Name: TG585 v8
Serial Number: CP1028TFGCM
Software Release: 8.2.7.8
Software Variant: DA
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.6
Product Code: 3666387A
Board Name: IANT-E
Again nothing.
ive opened the ports using portforward that didnt work. Please help me before i launch the xbox through the window
Kind regards

11 REPLIES 11
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Error: Your DNS server can't resolve Xbox LIVE

192.168.1.254 is your router, your XBox probably correctly was using it as your DNS, and it would then interrogate
From reading other threads I understand that
are pseudonyms for 
So as far as I'm concerned so far no errors.
Now, the errors your getting on your XBox, can you tell us what it ACTUALLY says in these errors?  We might be able to help you if you do.
Rojam

Ok ive just spoke to PN again and the tech support guy said try googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 so i will try this when i get in
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have the same problem.  Same Router model and firmware.  Same inability to solve it.
Anyone have any ideas?  Is it a problem with PlusNet's DNS servers? - Solution: PN, please update these.
Is it the router? - Solution: PN, please advise.
Pretty sure it's not the XBox but willing to test if anyone can advise how.
I last connected the XBox to Live rather a while ago on an old router with Ethernet, have now moved it and am using a new official XBox wireless adaptor - connects perfectly to the router (or so it reports).  With my old router it all worked just fine but that was months (or more) ago.
Any help please, my son is getting very ratty because he can't connect to Live with his latest game and says if he can't connect then the game was a waste of his money.
I think I may have spotted similat posts before but cannot pick them out now using the Forum Search so sorry if this repeats similar questions from others.
I too might try the Google DNS addresses as Rojam was advised but should these be entered in the router or the XBox?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

There could be a deeper problem http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92451 try using Google or OpenDNS
Rojam

walker23 - I've given up and bought a 10m long Ethernet cable am not wasting any more time on this until a patch or program or firm ware update comes and it out automatically.
  regards  and thanks all for the help
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Erm, if this problem is solved by the expedient of using a wire instead of wireless, then I can say 100% for certain this is not a DNS problem.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So perhaps another case for this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html ?
w23
Pro

Hi Rojan,
could you let us know if the ethernet 'solves' the problem please?
Thanks.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Given that he said he already purchased the wire, I was presuming it had.
w23
Pro

My presumption was different, it depends how you read the post, as you said earlier, ' if this problem is solved by the expedient of using a wire instead of wireless, then I can say 100% for certain this is not a DNS problem', I tend to agree but the XBox is clearly reporting that it is a DNS problem as the error message is ''Your DNS server can't resolve the name of the XBox LIVE servers or XBox.com'.
This may, or may not, relate to the other discussion where there seems to be a DNS problem with this router model (or the PN DNS servers?) http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92451.16.html.
Buying something to solve a problem does not confirm that the problem is solved and I don't want to go and purchase a 15m ethernet cable and route it through my house.
The XBox, the official wireless adaptor, the router and the DNS servers should work together and anyone using it should be able to connect a Microsoft XBox 360 to XBox LIVE unless there is a fault somewhere.
In my case the Thomson gives an otherwise excellent connection (well over 8000 sync on a line that BT estimates is good for 3.5Mbit, 7150 line profile, 12-13ms pings, no speed degradation over time - with various previous routers I have typically only been able to sustain a stable 6000-6500 profile so I'd really like to keep using this router.
Call me 'w23'
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Have you seen this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html ?
I suspect its a fault with Thompsons.
But I use Netgear so I cannot investigate it myself.