cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer Visit 22/05.

buseng12
Grafter

Engineer Visit 22/05.

This is in relation to ticket #81892611.
As arranged I had an engineer visit last Thursday pm, the intention was to reset my line/DLM so I could get my full speed back.
However this was not the case, the engineer only ran a couple of quick checks unlike previous visits where more comprehensive checks/adjustments were made & the engineer had the results sent back to his mobile. In this case after his quickie checks he said my line was ok & that he was going to look at the cabinet. He went on to say that he might have to make a phone call to pass the job on to another (higher?) department.
I informed him that I had a port swap a while back to improve my evening speeds, which has worked. I also told him that the cabinet was only 150 metres away from my property via walking the road (not as the crow flies).
Anyway he duly phoned me back saying that in fact that the job is to be passed on to another department. My ticket (above) was taken off hold at 6pm the same night.
Since then, nothing.
On top of this, shortly before the engineer arrived my BT profile did increase slightly from 51 to 58 Mb, still about 20Mb below my original connection speed.  Yesterday my P/N profile was raised to match this.
However my download speed/throughput is still only 44/45 Mb as it was when I had a 51 Mb profile. It is now below the minimum BT threshold.
I now don't know what is going on as all has now gone silent.
Attached is the current BTW 2nd stage test result showing red.
An update to what is going on would be appreciated.
I forget to say, this was tested through ethernet.
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Engineer Visit 22/05.

Hi buseng12,

I've just spoken to Dan and he's working on your ticket now son he'll be providing you with an update/further information as soon as he can.
buseng12
Grafter

Thank you.
buseng12
Grafter

Although the said ticket is on hold until 7am tomorrow (Monday) & "something" been done this weekend which I am supposed to be monitoring , I have now noticed my BT profile has DROPPED BACK YET AGAIN to 51. It went up to 58 a week or so ago.  
I know my line can support over 60 Meg or even 70 Meg as it has done when fibre was first installed, so why the big drop, no one can seem to answer that.
My P/N estimated speed is 63 Meg & I am nowhere near that.
There seems to be some rumblings about my line stability, I don't know why. I haven't had any disconnects, actually until today my router was connected for over 8 days, the O/R modem maybe longer than that.
I only re-booted the router today because my wireless printer wasn't being recognised, the re-boot cured that. That probably dropped my profile as well, although I don't see why.
The last engineer visit was a waste of time, he didn't do any resets as requested.
Don't forget I am only 150 metres away from the cabinet by walking distance, so should be getting full speed.
In a nutshell I am going round in circles, P/N seem to have the wrong end of the stick. Also no one can tell me why my profile is so low given the circumstances & keeps on dropping.
Surely I am not on the low end of "impacted"?

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Don't forget I am only 150 metres away from the cabinet by walking distance, so should be getting full speed.

At 150 metres from the cab you won't be getting full speed.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html
buseng12
Grafter

Still should be a lot more than what I am getting though.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi buseng12,
From looking at your line, it looks as though, when you disconnected your sync rate dropped, the sync rate between your FTTC Cabinet and Modem is dictated by what DLM believes to be the maximum stable rate for your line. DLM bases this information on data collected over the past 24 hour period.
I've tested your line this morning and can see a few errors on your line with Interleaving on low. The fact that your line ran at 70Mb when your line was first connected doesn't mean that you're always going to get those speeds. There are many things that could be affecting your line ranging from Crosstalk to third party equipment causing electrical interference - this generates errors on your line and causes errors, which Interleaving tries to correct. If this is what is happening, then you will be on the low end of an impacted line.
If you've had an engineer out who has not been able to identify a fault on the BT Network, it's likely one of the above issues. The engineer will not have completed a DLM Reset if no changes were made on the visit. Completing a DLM Reset would have only been a quick fix, as the errors would have re-occurred and brought the speeds back down to where they are now. Your speeds aren't being restricted, DLM has made changes to ensure your line remains stable.
AndyH
Grafter

Cross talk has been shown to affect lines by around 10Mbps in the 60-80Mbps bracket according to the trial data.
But does cross talk show as line errors? Isn't there a way of seeing now if cross talk is present on the diagnostics?
buseng12
Grafter

I still don't understand the sudden 7 Meg drop yesterday, surely just re-booting the router after at least 8 days wouldn't cause that? I didn't think router re-boots or disconnects  affected the DLM or sync rate anyway, only if you dropped the main connection from the modem.
By third party equipment do you mean outside my property? Nothing has changed here, I have no extensions or anything else connected, just direct from the master socket/MK2 faceplate to the O/R modem, then to the P/N router & then ethernet to my PC.
This all started a couple of months back when on one Friday afternoon I had a sudden 20+ Meg drop in one hit. Never been right since.
If it is crosstalk or outside interference, surely that is a BT problem which they should rectify.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@AndyH - Our testing doesn't differentiate the errors caused by crosstalk and those being caused by other parts of the BT Network.
@buseng12 - Line stability is one small part of getting your speeds back , the other part is the amount/severity of the errors on your line. Router re-boots don't have any impact on your connection on FTTC as you're not dropping sync. If you're using a VDSL modem router, then this will affect the service.
Third Party equipment, yes, I mean something that may have changed externally. Line conditions change all the time, some have positive and some have negative effects. BT are currently trialling a vectoring solution, it's not something that can be fixed overnight unfortunately but it's something that is being looked at.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/05/bt-prepare-phase-2-vectoring-trials-boost-uk-fttc-broad... - quite an interesting read.
AndyH
Grafter

I think it depends how you reboot your router.
If you disconnect manually from the admin page and then reboot, I think DLM sees that it's user initiated. If you just reboot (either from the power button or by using the reset option in the router admin page), then the DLM cannot tell if it's a line problem or user initiated - so it presumes the worst.
Using the reset option in the router admin page is practically the same as just turning the power off/on. The problem is it just kills the PPP daemon, which can be interpreted as a line problem by the DLM.
@ Chris - Thanks, I think I saw some different diagnostic data from Dave but it might have been specific to those people on the vectoring trials.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As the poster is on fibre I don't think that the router has any effect on the DLM however you switch it off as the modem remains connected
buseng12
Grafter

I just used the restart (not reset) option in the router menu.
As Oldjim says it is the O/R modem that is synced to the exchange. That was untouched.
Even so, one re-boot after over 8 days shouldn't affect the DLM surely?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's synced with the Cabinet, so dropping the session on your router won't have any ill effects on your sync rate.
Even so, one re-boot after over 8 days shouldn't affect the DLM surely?

It depends how far on you are on the Caution Counter. The best thing to do is to allow the line time to see if it improves on it's own accord. Further reading here: http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
buseng12
Grafter

Engineer just been, ran some tests & done a reset. Can my P/N profile now be updated please?
Said my copper line was good.
The main thing of interest is that I am not on the cabinet I thought I was on which is about 150 metres away just round the corner.
I am on one in the opposite direction right down the end of the road, not sure of the distance at the moment but further away than the one I thought it was.