cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Saving Router / Modem

pantsman28
Grafter

Energy Saving Router / Modem

What do Plusnet or the users on here recommend as a solid energy efficient Fibre Optic modem/wireless router to place the standard plusnet router and BT modem?.
These items are the only things left on at night, apart from phone charger sometimes! May look at replacing both for a single unit later on in the year.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Energy Saving Router / Modem

We're not able to recommend anything other than what we supply I'm afraid.
Combined VDSL modems can be quite pricy but it does sound like you're considering costs in the long run, I'm sure someone else will be able to recommend something to you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
picbits
Rising Star

Power consumption of the Huawei BT FTTC Modem is < 6 watts
Power consumption of the PN 582n is between 4 and 6 watts measured by another member on here : http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=111855.msg958880
I would say your current setup would draw an average of 10 watts - this equates to around £10 per year in energy costs (every 1 watt costs roughly £1)
Now bear in mind that for around half the year, you may require the heating on in your house, most of  that 10 watts of power consumed is output as heat so around £5 of that energy consumed is reused as heat within your property.
Purchasing a combined Router / Modem for £80 would see you requiring 16 years to recoup your purchase cost of the modem in energy savings. This is assuming the new router/modem takes zero energy .... The Asus N66U combined router / modem comes with a power supply that provides 19v @ 3.42 amps so a maximum consumption of nealy 65 watts  Shocked
The BT Homehub 5 apparently comes with a 12v 1.5A mains adapter so around 18 watts maximum consumption.
Looking at the above, I doubt you're going to make big savings anywhere.
I could be wrong but my calculations should be reasonably accurate !
pantsman28
Grafter

very interesting read! Whether its correct or not! i was hoping to free off a socket  Smiley
I may have titled this incorrectly but my plans for the weekend are to screw both of these units to the wall out of the way! Would have been nice it was just the one unit does all! but I am sure it will become standard in the near future!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Well, Fritz!Box 7390 claims an average power consumption of just 6-8W, mine says it's running around 48-49% most of the time (with a supply rating of 11W) so possibly 5 to 6W and that's working as a VDSL modem, Gigabit switch, Dual band Wi-Fi and a DECT telephone base station.  At typical retail prices this will pay for its self in just 30 years  Grin
I do like having one device that replaces 3 (or more) using just one of my electrical sockets, on the other hand these ain't cheap and if it fails then more stuff stops working (I do keep back-up separate devices though).
Lesser models are available to suit different needs at rather more reasonable prices (or you could splash out about £300 on the newer and better 7490 model).
Another way to 'free a socket' is to get a trailing socket (ideally with surge protection) which has 'keyhole' screw mount slots on the back (most of mine seem to), then you can wall mount this near the modem and router.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndyH
Grafter

I think there are a lot of other ways you can save more energy in a household - rather than a router. Although getting a combined VDSL modem/router will save energy vs running the Openreach VDSL modem + a router.