Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless disconnections

lindahwilliams
Hooked

Endless disconnections

Hi,

I've been noticing a lot a disconnections on my line over the past month or so.

It sometimes happens when receiving phone calls. Also, the line is sometimes a bit crackly, but not always.

Quite often the disconnections coincide with rainy weather. For example, over the past few days we've had glorious sunshine and it's managed to maintain a connection of 3.6Mb since the weekend. Today we had some rain and suddenly we had several disconnections in a matter of minutes and we're down to 1Mb Cry (it should be around 6Mb)

I've tried different microfilters (three sets) to no avail. The router (Technicolor TG582n) is connected to the master socket.

We had a similar problem around September last year. An Openreach engineer came out and said that because our line goes through the branches of a large tree (the pole is also nestled in amongst the leaves), the black coating had been eroded away and the wires were exposed. He fixed it at the time but I suspect that maybe this has happened again.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure speeds of this sort are against the Geneva convention or something, so can I get some advice or maybe a line test (I know you guys have some snazzy timeline graph thing showing all the recent disconnections).

Thanks in advance!

Linda

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Endless disconnections

If your phone service is PN too, next time the line is noisy go to the faults page at PlusNet and follow the procedure to raise a fault; if phone with BT use the BT website to do a line daignostic test; if a fault found BT will progress.

PN's test as with BT's will diagnose if fault is external to your property at exchange or on line or in your premises.

Essential phone problem is sorted first.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi lindahwilliams,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us via the community forums and I am sorry to hear about the issues that you have been facing with your service.

Have you reported this to our faults team and are you still getting the same noise and drops in speed and connection.

alanalpha
Dabbler

sounds like a problem i had a few years ago on my line and my mums line (2 lines in the house) problem was corroded face plates at the cabinet

lindahwilliams
Hooked

@BenB wrote:

Have you reported this to our faults team and are you still getting the same noise and drops in speed and connection.

I've now reported it using the troubleshooter and a support ticket is open (#130212491), currently awaiting a reply.

Since opening the support ticket, it has disconnected again and reconnected at 841kbps down.