Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of my Tether..

Galaxy1925
Hooked

End of my Tether..

Advice please...
Reported a fault with my broadband line on the 7th of April. The connection was slow and the sync speed down to 0.5mb. Not long after, the line totally went down and we had no broadband at all for a few days. It then came back at a whopping speed of 0.2mb sync speed. Using speedtest, I was getting 0.18mb download speeds. (Wow!)
Throughout all this, I have been liaising with Plusnet and I have to say that I have not been impressed. To cut a long story short, a BT Openreach Engineer arrived today when my wife was at home. He said the line was okay and changed the telephone socket for a new one. I would have expected him to run some sort of speed test, but no, he didn't. The line is still pathetic with my download speed 0.18mb.
What now? We've tried a new router, new filter, new cables, had Openreach here with no fault found, yet the speed is unusable and fit for nothing.
Really angry and have no idea what to try next!
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: End of my Tether..

can you post the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Galaxy1925
Hooked

Hi Oldjim,
Hopefully the stats below are what you're looking for
From the BT site:
Download speed 0.2
Upload 0.34
PlusNet current line speed is 0.2mb
Router Stats for my Netgear DG834PN

Port      Status      TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s      Rx B/s      Up Time
WAN    PPPoA      52096    65678        0                1043        9726      01:57:33
LAN    10M/100M 87338    72661        0                5185        878        03:34:26
WLAN  11M/54M  52752    52718        0              2572        864        03:34:21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4891 kbps 443 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.0 db 23.9 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 23.4 db
Many thanks

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is indeed
One more thing
When you do the BT test can you click on Further Diagnostics as we need to know the IP profile
But at a first guess the IP profile will be 4313kbps and hence the bottleneck is the Plusnet profile which needs sorting - that should be picked up here tomorrow
It appears that the BT engineer fixed the problem
Galaxy1925
Hooked

Hi Oldjim.
Just tried to get the further diagnostic information regarding the IP, but it only gives me download/upload speed again as it says there was an error trying to retrieve further information. (I have tried 3 times now, but to no avail)
When you say the bottleneck with the Plusnet profile should be picked up here tomorrow, do you mean from my open ticket with Plusnet or literally from the forum?
Many thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Possibly both but certainly here - if it isn't picked up by lunch time I will give them a dig
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Galaxy1925,
We've given your connection profile a bit of a nudge. Let us know if this has improved your speeds at all!
Galaxy1925
Hooked

Hi Linn K
My speed is back up around the 4mb mark. Obviously frustrated that this has taken since the 7th of April to get a fix.
Just waiting to hear from Plusnet re compensation for the downtime and the unusable speeds.
Many thanks to Oldjim for his prompt response and help. Shame it took me writing on the forum to get any meaningful advice.
Thanks
Galaxy1925
Hooked

Well, gone from fixed to totally down again. I've now had just less than 4 days usable broadband since the 7th of April.
This is very tedious now.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi Galaxy,
Can you please clarify "totally" down again?
The NG router stats are not overly informative - there is nothing indicating transmission error rates.  The Synch speed is a bit slow for 48dB, though the WAN line suggests a much better capability.  The ND also does not identify the modulation type in use.  Do you have another router you could try please?
Have you worked through the fault reporter here - http://faults.plus.net ?
Is there any noise on your phone line?
Is the speed test being done over a wired or a wifi connection?  If the latter can you please try wired so as to eliminate the possibility of a local wifi issue.
What is the current IP profile reported by the BTw speed test and that shown on the PN portal - see the "speed issues" sticky ay the top of this forum.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Galaxy1925
Hooked

Hi Townman,
Totally down as in I have no broadband connection at all. Using 3G to update the forum.
Yes - I've tried it all and have a ticket still open. Advice is usually quicker on the forum.
Bit difficult to run tests with no broadband.
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Galaxy,
You can run the faults checker with the BB down from any connection you can attain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Galaxy1925
Hooked

Hi Townman,
Ran the fault checker and updated the ticket yet again. Openreach found no issue with the line the other day, so I await the Plusnet response with interest. It's a shame they're never that quick at responding. An issue ongoing since the 7th of April is unacceptable.
Thanks
roblightbody
Dabbler

I'm curious to know if you have a nice clean and clear dialling tone on the phone?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Rob,
A good call - one I should have asked for  Embarrassed
Quite line test - dial 17070 option 2 - there should be near silence!