cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling QoS traffic shaping on Technicolor TG582n

blueskin

Enabling QoS traffic shaping on Technicolor TG582n

First time poster so hi to all,
I've recently had some housemates move in and start streaming all day. I pay for the broadband and I am looking to prioritise my own gaming traffic over the streams. From this page
http://www.speedguide.net/routers/technicolor-thomson-tg582n-wireless-n-multi-user-1720&print=friend...
I see that the router I have is capable of supporting QoS but I cannot find the option to enable it on the router configuration page. Has this option been removed or restricted by the plusnet firmware running on the router or am I being blind in not finding it?
If it is not possible on this router, is it possible on another plusnet supplied router? If not, can anyone suggest a cheap QoS enabled router that is supported/known to work with plusnet copper wiring service?
In a follow up question I looked at getting the pro package to prioritise gaming traffic over the plusnet network as opposed to my LAN, what I could not get confirmation of from the sales staff was whether this priority only occurred during times of peak load or was active all of the time.
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer.
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Enabling QoS traffic shaping on Technicolor TG582n

Quote from: blueskin
In a follow up question I looked at getting the pro package to prioritise gaming traffic over the plusnet network as opposed to my LAN, what I could not get confirmation of from the sales staff was whether this priority only occurred during times of peak load or was active all of the time.

welcome to the forums Smiley
it's active all the time and I don't think the QoS will achieve what you want it to.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Pro won't achieve what you want.
Either traffic for the games you are playing are recognised by the Plusnet systems as gaming and will be prioritised above streaming already.
Or the traffic is not one of the games recognised and all Pro would do is lift it to the same priority as the streaming.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
prichardson
Grafter

The others have covered this pretty much.
The QoS features are already enabled in the router itself and ensures things like VoIP are prioritised in the local domain. However what you are looking to do will unlikely help anyway.
These QoS functions mainly concern how your local network performs priority to data you are sending from your LAN to the internet. It can't control what has already been received from the internet through to the router. As the LAN is highly probably faster than your internet connection, there is more than ample capacity in the LAN side that priority would not serve any function.
On the Plusnet side, gaming traffic should already be equal or greater priority than streaming to you anyway, unless the game is unrecognised (this is were the Pro service assists, making sure the priority is up there) and in cases of an unrecognised game, we want to know about this so we can correct it for all customers and not just you.
QoS isn't something we have hidden in the web interface, it simply something we have not built in. These is no simple way of building this in either, as it is a lot more advanced than what is provided in other routers.
blueskin

That's all very helpful, thanks for the replies.
It seems I was incorrect about QoS and I agree that it is certainly the ISP traffic, not the LAN traffic that is maximised.
When my housemate makes the request to the streaming server, how does the server know at what rate to send the data? I am thinking that my only solution will be to limit his bandwidth using a 3rd party app installed on his computer (with his consent), if I do this and he only has 6 of 8mb allowed, will this leave 2mb of free bandwidth for myself or will it simply mean his computer will download from the router at 6mb?
Sorry if that's a dumb question, the problem is that gaming is time critical, depending on the packets to be there every second and streaming both buffers and copes with lost packets admirably.
Thanks again.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Do you actually have a problem?  Our QOS should be ensuring that this works fine.  What games are you playing?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Bailante

Wanted to revive this, as the author may have found the answer - and I am also curious for one.
Game is - League of Legends. And the problem we having is while someone else is streaming, even low res - ping spikes quite a bit at times and generally is high (up to 900 ms).
TG582n modem, both laptops (streaming and gaming) are on wifi in the same room, ping to google - at the time when ping ingame reaches 500-900 - stays at 20-40 ms, 10 Mbs package. 
So continuing the thread - is riot games traffic somehow is being prioritized. and if not - what our options are?
Thank you!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Bailante,
Welcome to the forums.
The problem you describe is not going to be addressed by QoS services on the TG582n router - that relates to US priority.
Streaming and gaming are both bandwidth hungry services.  The cause of your issue could be the wifi performance, but is more likely to be a DS bandwidth issue.  To explore that, please start your own thread after reading the slow speeds issues thread and gathering the requested information.
We can then look at YOUR problem in YOUR OWN thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The following link shows how to configure IPQoS on a Technicolor router.
It won't have much affect on the downstream but may help if it's the upstream which is determining the rate.
http://npr.me.uk/ipqos.html
Other options:
1) It's possible to configure a maximum through put speed for each ethernet port, but not for the wireless.
Let me know if you can see a way to use this option and I'll post some telnet commands to achieve this.
2) You can allow / disallow wireless connection either manually or via a timer (I think that's available in the GUI with R10 firmware). So you could always cut them off while gaming.