Did you mean: 

Enabled exchange?

J_i_m
Grafter

Enabled exchange?

The exchange checker says the following for my exchange:
BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN

The plus.net 'Choose Broadband Product' page says this:
'Up to 20Mb' broadband is only available if your telephone exchange has been upgraded to support ADSL2+.
ADSL2+ is not currently available at your exchange.

Which is correct?
Exchange is WILLASTON (WMWLN)
(The plus.net bit also says that my estimated speed on the current system would be 2MB despite the fact I've been happily syncing at 4MB+ for years)
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Enabled exchange?

The '21cn-exchange-availability' list here (look for your exchange code, not name, the names shown are the WBC nodes) says it is 'open', which means available, so the information on the product availability page seems incorrect.
However if your current sync speed is in the 4000kbps range you might not see much benefit from ADSL2+. What are your router stats (sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins)? It's worth checking using Kitz's calculator.
David
J_i_m
Grafter

I'm currently syncing at 4928/448 Kbps with a downstream attenuation of 47 dB.  The Kitz calculator seems to think that could get up to 6400, which is enough to make me consider the change.
I'm a little way off the estimated 5536 for dslmax although I have got into the 5000 before.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Has your target noise margin been raised to 9dB rather than 6dB? That would explain the sync speed being lower than the calculated figure. Does the sync speed increase if you connect (using a filter) into the test socket exposed by removing the lower part of the master socket (assuming it is the NTE5 type with removable face plate)?
David
J_i_m
Grafter

Connecting to the test socket doesn't make any difference.  Noise margin is currently 4.4 dB.
I was contemplating getting a pre filtered faceplate.  Not sure how much benefit I'd get from it though Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

How much does noise margin vary through the 24 hour day/night cycle? Have you tried monitoring using Routerstats or DMT, if either of these will work with your router?
David