Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not coming through

praethon
Grafter

Emails not coming through

Hi,
Anybody having problems with receipt of emails. Nothing has come through at all this afternoon. I would have expected around 20 -30 emails. Huh
Username - praethon. It's the emails to my PN hosted domain if anyone from PN is having a look.
Stuart
24 REPLIES 24
pengyou
Grafter

Re: Emails not coming through

Anybody having problems with receipt of emails

Yes, but my problem is that none of my mail is coming via Postini now.
Something seems to have gone wrong with the SPAM settings for my account. I've just looked at them and the web page says
Domain Email Blocked
You cannot set your spam settings because email to this domain has been blocked
To renable email to this domain, simply uncheck the option above labeled 'Block all incoming email to this domain' then click 'Update Settings' below

but there is NO tick in that box!
I cannot remember the last time I looked at "Manage My Mail" (it must have been many months ago).
At least I'm still getting some mail.
praethon
Grafter

Just checked my spam settings. The legacy account is blocked but my domain email isn't. So it looks like there is some problem with email. I'll wait a while and see if anyone else is having the problem. If not I'll raise a ticket.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi there,
I can see what's happening, am just trying to figure out why it's happened. It could potentially be an unwanted side effect of the DNS updates that we made as part of the email database cleanup this morning.
Basically, the mail records for your domain are pointing to the mx.core's/mx.last's instead of Postini:
C:\Users\bpullen>nslookup -type=mx yourdomain.tld
Server:  ptn-cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10
Non-authoritative answer:
yourdomain.tld  MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx.last.plus.net
yourdomain.tld  MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx.core.plus.net

These servers aren't accepting messages sent to you though. Instead they're deferring it:
220 mx.core.plus.net ESMTP Exim Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:48:53 +0000
ehlo cores
250-pih-sunmxcore17.plus.net Hello cores [80.229.150.170]
250-SIZE 104857600
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP
mail from:<>
250 OK
rcpt to:<postmaster@yourdomain.tld>
451-Plusnet: Please route email according to MX record
451 (yourdomain.tld/80.229.xxx.xxx)

I'll escalate your ticket through to our Net-Ops guys now but it might not get picked up until tomorrow. Sorry this has happened.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

praethon
Grafter

No worries, at least you have identified the problem. Thanks for your input Bob.
pengyou
Grafter

Yes, but my problem is that none of my mail is coming via Postini now

I raised a ticket about this [number  27118008 ] and got the following response:
We have now moved away from Postini to Ironport, I have also refreshed the settings and all settings have been removed which should allow all emails through.

Have I missed the Service Status announcement about moving Free-Online mail accounts - I thought you were still moving "unused" accounts to IronPort?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: pengyou
Yes, but my problem is that none of my mail is coming via Postini now

I raised a ticket about this [number  27118008 ] and got the following response:

Will take a look at the ticket now.
We have now moved away from Postini to Ironport, I have also refreshed the settings and all settings have been removed which should allow all emails through.

Have I missed the Service Status announcement about moving Free-Online mail accounts - I thought you were still moving "unused" accounts to IronPort?

No, in fact the first migration of active accounts in tomorrow morning. I'll make sure the agent that answered your ticket is up to date with the latest developments so as not to cause confusion in the future.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, managed to get somebody to look into this. DNS is still pointing at the mx.cores & mx.lasts but the servers should now be accepting email on both of your accounts Smiley
We found another 32 accounts in a similar position and have fixed them too. Let me know if you have any further problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

praethon
Grafter

Yep, it looks like mail is now coming though. However it is not being routed via Postini/Ironport. I presume there is still a problem that needs resolving and that this is just a temporary fix.
pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
DNS is still pointing at the mx.cores & mx.lasts but the servers should now be accepting email

I'm getting mail OK. Will the DNS entries get updated when my Free-Online account is migrated to IronPort?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My  Free-online has migrated, got live e-mails  but no spam to test on
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: praethon
Yep, it looks like mail is now coming though. However it is not being routed via Postini/Ironport. I presume there is still a problem that needs resolving and that this is just a temporary fix.

That's not a problem looking at your account as you have spam filtering switched off for your domain. We can't turn certain elements of IronPort's spam filtering off, so the only way to ensure there's no spam filtering on an account now is to have it bypass the IronPort boxes entirely.
@pengyou, the same applies to you too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
... you have spam filtering switched off for your domain. We can't turn certain elements of IronPort's spam filtering off, so the only way to ensure there's no spam filtering on an account now is to have it bypass the IronPort boxes entirely.

I'm disappointed to learn that there is no IronPort equivalent to the Edge Protection proved by Postini.
If I want to try using IronPort do I have to wait until you have finished migrating everyone else? Do I need to wait until the "Manage My Mail" page no longer has the Postini-related options displayed?
Although I am receiving mail, "Manage My Mail" still says my domains are blocked even though that option has NOT been selected.
Domain Email Blocked
You cannot set your spam settings because email to this domain has been blocked
To renable email to this domain, simply uncheck the option above labeled 'Block all incoming email to this domain' then click 'Update Settings' below
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have Spam Filtering on, Edge Protection on (not that that matters), Don't add [-SPAM-] to the subject line, Move to Inbox  shouldn't that effectively give you edge protection only?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you have Spam Filtering on, Edge Protection on (not that that matters), Don't add [-SPAM-] to the subject line, Move to Inbox  shouldn't that effectively give you edge protection only?

I've changed my mail settings to do that and those changes got rid of the "Domain Email Blocked" message. Guess I'll just need to wait and see what happens now...
Update:
Found a new header in my mail (X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)) but since DNS still points directly to mx.core/mx.last nothing else seems to have changed yet.