cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email storage limit

peaksoft
Grafter

Email storage limit

Sorry - I know I'll find this somewhere, but at the moment I can't.
As I'm plagued with spam, which stacks up in my spam folder, what's the total storage allowed? 
10 REPLIES 10
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Email storage limit

We don't enforce a hard limit, but I generally ask people to keep well below 100Mb. At more than 250Mb you might well expect to get an email from us asking you to have a tidy up.
Ian
LiamM
Grafter

Is this true for people using IMAP?  I'm storing significantly more email than that on my external IMAP accounts.  What about Business accounts?
250Mb seems quite low to me for an IMAP user?
Be3G
Grafter

It is also worth noting that mail in the Spam and Deleted folders gets periodically emptied by PlusNet... this took me by surprise at first, when I went to look in my Deleted folder once and found it empty! (It's something PlusNet never used to do, then started doing one day without, it seems, informing anybody.)
peaksoft
Grafter

Thanks for that.  I'd noted that spam would be cleared out every (21?) days.
Even at 300-400 spam messages a day, I think I'll be safe with that.
Ianwild
Grafter

To be fair, we don't get to pay for your storage by data mining your emails to see what you like so we can display you more relevant (and therefore profitable) adds. On that basis, I reckon 250Mb is quite generous.
The future plan is to let people buy more storage if they need it, and there is a chance we can have a good review of these levels at some point too. For now though I don't reckon 250Mb, even with IMAP use, is going to cause a problem for most people.
Ian
peaksoft
Grafter

Well, as someone who's just moved from NTL (10Mb limit) I'm certainly not complaining.
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
It is also worth noting that mail in the Spam and Deleted folders gets periodically emptied by PlusNet... this took me by surprise at first, when I went to look in my Deleted folder once and found it empty! (It's something PlusNet never used to do, then started doing one day without, it seems, informing anybody.)

The deleted folder too?  Really?
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this would be happening.
/goes to look!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mine gets emptied approx twice a month, not after 21 days, that was what the statement said when we went over to squirrel mail :'(, I was trying to see how many spams I got in a calender month, no such luck.
Not applicable

Hmm, the official limit appears to be 25MB of unread messages for more than 30 days.
http://www.plus.net/support/email/common_questions.shtml#limits
Dunno where that fits in with the rest of the picture?