cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email spam filter

CWatters
Grafter

Email spam filter

I'm having problems with the plus spam filter blocking some legit email. I don't really want to turn off the filter but have done so for the moment.
If I enable the filter and get spam sent to a spam folder... Is it possible to get Outlook Express to pickup email from there as well as from the inbox?
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Email spam filter

Is it possible to get Outlook Express to pickup email from there as well as from the inbox?

Yes, you'd need to set up Outlook Express to collect via IMAP instead, this will allow you to subscribe to the spam folder and read any messages that appear in there.
http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/email_setup_guide.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CWatters
Grafter

Sorry I must be asleep today..  I meant Outlook rather than Outlook Express.
I've currently got Outlook set up to download from the POP3 server at  mail.plus.net

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You can do the same in Outlook, during the setup of a mail account in Outlook it normally asks what type of mail server you are connecting to. If you select IMAP and use the server address of imap.plus.net this should allow you to view your spam folder locally.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CWatters
Grafter

Great, thanks I'll check that out.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Easier to go to Manage My Mail (in the PlusNet Members Centre) and select to have spam delivered via PoP3. I have a Message Rule in OE to delete tagged [-SPAM-] on arrival -- then I check for false positives in my Deleted Items folder before purging.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but it saves a lot of bandwidth by leaving it on the server, look at the heading and deleting it there
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You're right, of course, pierre_pierre!  I only do it because (touch wood) I don't get a lot of spam -- and even less now postini stops so much at the edge.
running
Dabbler

Over the last week or two I am getting a lot of legit email put in the webmail spam folder and I now have to look in webmail every day. I report them as Not Spam but this does not seem to help.
Is there any way of setting up each individual mailbox to either put emails marked SPAM into its Inbox folder or Spam folder?

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The spam tab on the manage my email section on the member centre gives you the option to deliver spam marked email to your inbox, IMAP spam folder or to delete it.
Why not set your email client to use IMAP to access you mail folder and then you can see the spam folder without having to go to webmail. Moving stuff from their to your inbox can then be done via you email client.
Just specify imap rather than POP3 and use imap.plus.net instead of mail.plus.net.
Tony_W
Grafter

I've never used imap before and I'm on force9 - so I thought I'd give it a go.
I had a look on the internet for Outlook 2003 instructions and the Plusnet help page, selecting Force9 as the provider.
I says use imap.force9.net for the incoming mail server, whic I did. I entered the username, password etc. and eventually it was set up.
There is now a new folder in the Folders list window called 'imap.force9.net' and an inbox folder within it.
I have tried to right-click on the 'imap.force9.net' and choose either 'Update folders" or  'IMAP folders'
The first one eventually times out trying to 'synchronize hierarchy' and the second one says that 'The connection to the server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action'
Obviously outlook is online for me to collect my POP3 email normally.
Before you ask, I have turned off my firewall - no difference. I can look at the webmail OK in internet explorer, but I have to keep putting in my password, which is annoying just to look in the spam folder.
It seems that it is not as simple as people make out.
Any ideas regarding what is amiss?
[EDIT] I think that I have got it now. I had (in desperation) tried imap.plus.net and had 'this server requires and encypted connection (SSL)' selected as that was contained in the internet instructions that I found.
Just one last thing - do I have to manually 'Update folders' to see the current contents of the spam folder?
[/EDIT]
Tony
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No.
However you do need to ensure you can see the spam folder for the email account within webmail first.
Not applicable

Tony - I don't think you should be selecting the option for 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' as its not a supported option.
Try it again without this selected and see if its more successful.
Tony_W
Grafter

Thank you James, but I had already sorted it yesterday morning - I was just saying:
Quote from: Tony
I had (in desperation) tried imap.plus.net and had 'this server requires and encypted connection (SSL)' selected as that was contained in the internet instructions that I found.

that I HAD tried that setting (incorrectly) and that removing it allowed the mail collection to take place.
Tony