cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email queues - on the rise

Tony_W
Grafter

Email queues - on the rise

Too early to panic yet, but the Inbound email queues seem to be nudging their way skywards.
I have not noticed any increase in spam and the rise seems to have started yesterday evening.
22 REPLIES 22
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Email queues - on the rise

it could be that PlusNet are getting a large amount of new spam, they seem to have changed there tack to offering Degrees, these come in to PlusNet before going to Postinin for Edge Filtering, so although you might not be getting it PN probably are
Tony_W
Grafter

I've already got 3 degrees so I don't need any more  Wink
(Hey - why does the 'wink' icon look the same as the 'smiley' icon in the editor?)
these come in to PlusNet before going to Postinin for Edge Filtering

I didn't know that. I had assumed that Postini took them from scratch. Well you learn something every day - Thanks pierre_pierre.
Tony
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am certainly not a postini expert, I am only guessing that from the headers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: pierre_pierre
it could be that PlusNet are getting a large amount of new spam, they seem to have changed there tack to offering Degrees, these come in to PlusNet before going to Postinin for Edge Filtering, so although you might not be getting it PN probably are

No. For people on Postini the MX records are set to point to Postini so email goes straight there first where the edge filtering and scoring occurs before it is passed to the Plusnet servers for storage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tony_W
Grafter

Phew - the email curves are plunging gracefully groundwards again. Normality is restored to my usually untroubled universe.
Quote from: Tony
Well you learn something every day

And sadly you have to unlearn almost as much - thank you Jelv.
The 'wink' icon is still wrong on this forum though... e.g.  Wink( ;)) is the same as Smiley( :))
Tony
Colin
Grafter

Quote from: Tony
The 'wink' icon is still wrong on this forum though... e.g.  Wink( ;)) is the same as Smiley( :))

They are most definitely different here...
Be3G
Grafter

I suspect Tony's not noticed the wink's animated - it alternates between smiling normally and winking.
Tony_W
Grafter

That is true - I do not have animations/video/audio turned on because of added bandwidth.
I also find that animation distracts the eye and detracts from the textual content.
It might have been better to have had the non-animated face of the animated GIF be the one that it is meant to look like.
I will remain in an unanimated world, and just think of it as a smiley instead. Wink
Thanks
Tony
Colin
Grafter

I don't think having animations turned off actually saves you bandwidth...
Tony_W
Grafter

Yes, you're right but I got to have some excuse for being a miserable so-and-so.
Tony_W
Grafter

Getting back on topic.
I notice that the email queues are looking up again.
There has been a big rise in spam emails (all marked spam) received in the last few hours.
Is something up with PN/Postini's systems, or is it just a 'deluge'?
I've been on Postini over a week now and I can't (so far) tell the difference - perhaps a sight increase in the spam emails getting through, but they are all marked as spam.
Tony
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just had  a look at the mail queues and can see they are just over 1000. this really isn't a figure to worry about and won't cause problems. The previous (pre-Postini) scale on the graph had been around 8000-10000, so you can see we still have a bit of leeway.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tony_W
Grafter

The email queues seem to be 'on the up' again.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The result of a particularly nasty spam attack on an individual user I'm told. Remedial action has been taken and we should see the queues coming back down before long. There shouldn't be any impact on customers' mail delivery.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵