SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Email problems..

OK what does this mean:

Reporting-MTA: dns; pcl-ipout02.plus.net
Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxx@yyyyy
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout' (delivery attempts: 0)

I'm concerned about the delivery attempts : 0 part.
I've sent quite a few important emails over the past few days concerning jobs etc and I'm now worried that they could all well have got lost.
The email in question was sent on 14 Dec at 11:15:10
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Email problems..

did we have a problem Yesterday ? got one sent from the BBC the headers show received and delivered at 09:40, but did not arrive to my IMAP until today - i did check last evening, not there then
SteveA
Pro

Anyone or do I need to raise a ticket?
Apparently :
"The message was considered too old by the rejecting system,  either because it remained on that host too long or because the time-to-live value specified by the sender of the message was exceeded."
So this would imply something wrong inside PNs email system... again
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not necessarily Steve.
It suggests to me that for an unspecified reason, our Ironport relays weren't able to send the message to the recipient's mail server. That reason could be anything so if I were you I'd raise a ticket and attach the full headers so that we can investigate further.
BTW, what do you mean 'again'? It's not as if we've been plagued with service-wide email problems of late Huh
@pierre_pierre, your problem is to do with collection by the sounds of things so will be completely unrelated to Steve's. Without knowing too much about it it seems more like a client side problem than anything else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

Quote from: Bob

BTW, what do you mean 'again'? It's not as if we've been plagued with service-wide email problems of late Huh

I think its just that I've now got so wary of PNs email system because of problems in the past ..... and the fact that IronPort can apparently sit on an email for 3 days for no apparent reason. How many other emails are either stuck or IronPort has just popped silently into the bit bucket?
Ticket raised. Is the average response time now really over 16 hours?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: SteveA
Ticket raised. Is the average response time now really over 16 hours?

The average could well be.
I've responded to your ticket though, looks to me like misconfiguration at the recipient's side.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

Thanks for that Bob, I've replied to the ticket.
Its all a bit worrying as they're a contracting company I've done some work for!