Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email password oddity

Routefinder
Grafter

Email password oddity

Hi All
Of the various email accounts I have occassionally PlusNet takes a powder and asks me to re-enter the password in Outlook but typically this corrects itself and I can without any intervention on my part receive that mailboxes emails.  But this evening this happened with one mailbox and it is still failing..................................now of course I can go to the portal and reset (re create) the password but why should that be required???  Has there been any back office work on the PlusNet system that means an older copy of the password has been resurrected?
TIA for any insight Smiley
Edit ~ now have just checked using Webmail and none of ther usual passwords for that account mailbox work.  Nothing for it just have to and update it in the account settings but why has it gone wrong???
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Email password oddity

HI Routefinder,
I'm afraid I can't shed any light on that. I wouldn't say it was something in the systems or we'd have seen a lot more threads like this. Is it working now?
Jojo Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Email password oddity

Quote from: Routefinder
Of the various email accounts I have occasionally PlusNet takes a powder and asks me to re-enter the password in Outlook but typically this corrects itself

If you mean you get a pop-up window requesting a user name and password then this is an infrequent occurrence with all email programs and all email providers.  It happens when the computer belonging to the email provider that is supposed to validate your credentials does not respond correctly, probably just failing to respond in the allotted time.  The correct response is to the ignore the pop-up and just try again later when the fault at the providers end should have been fixed.
If you enter a password in the box it won't work whether or not the password is correct.  But the program remembers the last entered password and will never connect again if you end up with the wrong password.  Fixing the email of clients who have got themselves into this mess by trying to "guess" their forgotten email password is a nice little earner for me.  The wiser clients call me first and I give them the advice I gave in the first paragraph - ignore the pop-up box until the problem gets fixed.