Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not working

stonechat
Grafter

Email not working

Hi
Email is not working - many people having problems- there is nothing on system status
Bob
63 REPLIES 63
Grff
Grafter

Re: Email authentication - sporadic requests for password...

I can't get into either the member centre, or use Outlook 2007 to get my mail.  Just seem to get authentication errors and a message of "incorrect password."
Is there a more widespread problem today?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Email not working

There are problems with some Sheffield based services, which are probably preventing a service status been posted.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Cerberos
Rising Star

Re: Email authentication - sporadic requests for password...

Now 09:00, I haven't been able to pick up my email since 07:45 this morning. Using windows mail it asks for user name and password, just tried webmail and I get an erropr message "ERROR connection dropped by IMAP server"
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I have just updated Service Status so expect something there shortly. This wasn't possible earlier on as our Service Status tool was affected by the same problem that was stopping you accessing your email. If you're on Twitter then why not subscribe to our updates? I've been posting there since about 7.30am this morning.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

out of interest, you can get this without subscribing, just click bobs link, then bookmark it
Lurker
Grafter

Twitter is blocked on my work connection. Sad
I'll have to look at the whitelist rules.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

pierre, yes you can.  I can see it (and have seen it in the past), but never subscribed to twitter in any way before.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Bob
I have just updated Service Status so expect something there shortly. This wasn't possible earlier on as our Service Status tool was affected by the same problem that was stopping you accessing your email. If you're on Twitter then why not subscribe to our updates? I've been posting there since about 7.30am this morning.

Yet again a demonstration of why a service status website which is hosted outside of the Plusnet network is needed and which can be updated via a dialup connection when needed. If not that then as a minimum you should have a server in London which again can be updated even if all of Sheffield and/or the London/Sheffield link is down.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: jelv
Yet again a demonstration of why a service status website which is hosted outside of the Plusnet network is needed and which can be updated via a dialup connection when needed.

We have a site hosted in London that we use for Parbin Service Status. Having something hosted at a different URL though isn't all that dissimilar to what Twitter does. As you know jelv, we've discussed this a few times and certainly haven't dismissed the idea, we just need to set some time aside to decide how to approach it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

blahblah
Grafter

How long has email been down and is there any chance incoming email will be lost? I am waiting for a job offer but don't want to start taking alternative action in case it looks like I have unreliable email... as if  Huh
James
Grafter

You shouldn't lose any email.  It'll just be queued on our servers.
I believe the problem happened at around 7am.
blahblah
Grafter

Thanks James.
Tony_W
Grafter

@Bob - I phoned the service status line (0845 002 0171) at about 8am - already 30 minutes into the problems.
There were 'nothing wrong with the service' messages on both the email and the website sections.
I phoned CS and was immediately told that there was a major outage.
Why was there nothing on the service status phone line - it would have saved both CS time and my phone bill?
Tony
James
Grafter

To be honest, we should probably be talking about decommissioning that telephone number.
When we have an outage at that time in the morning, it's normally just Bob that's in and we just don't have the time to update various different telephone options on that line, twitter, Community, Service Status, etc.
Where did you find the number?  Is it just something you've saved over time?