cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email lost / undelivered

stillorgan

Re: Email lost / undelivered

Phil,
thanks for the clarification; I only have one mailbox on force9, and it's the same username & pw as for logging onto the portal.
However, this means that unfortunately your suggestion doesn't seem to help at the moment. Perhaps I'm lucky that at least the relay is working when using my BT broadband isp account. However, I am trying to move away from the BT broadband for my personal emails and use SKY instead (which is on a spearate phone line) - so I really would love to have my force9 email out working on the SKY broadband.
Any other suggestions please?
Alan.
Not applicable

If you are going to use SKY Broadband all the time, all you need to do is change the outgoing mail server to be the one on Sky's network.
Only the incoming POP3 server needs to be set to the PN/F9 one so you can collect your mail. The outgoing SMTP relay can be any one you have permission to use. In the case of SKY, their relay is smtp.sky.com - this should work fine with your F9 account via the SKY ADSL connection.
stillorgan

James,
Thanks for suggestion.  That did it!! Grin
I was thinking about it the wrong way around!  I suppose it was just a coincidence that my old settings worked with BT.
Anyway thanks again, you can stop for lunch now, knowing that you have done your good deed for the morning!
Alan
Not applicable

Glad its working. Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: James_H
Worth noting that SMTP Authentication does work at the minute on the PN relays, so if you enter your username and password, you should be able to send mails via the PN relay from a Sky connection.

Not strictly true James. SMTP auth will only work from subscription accounts. It is *not* available for non-subscription customers. Barry, the F9 and PN server addresses resolve to the same host.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

zubel
Community Veteran

Interesting.
How would a collision of plusnet/force9 usernames be handled? 
TBH, I've not looked at SMTP AUTH for a long time, and that was using Postfix not Exim
You know me - I like to know the nitty gritty Wink
B.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Barry
How would a collision of plusnet/force9 usernames be handled? 

Using relay.force9.net with SMTP auth from outside (or inside) PlusNet's network works for me (as an F9 customer), whereas the plus equivalent doesn't; so I guess the server can properly identify customers from the route taken to get there. I believe my username is duplicated on one of the other vISPs.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ddixon
I have an open ticket (23783787) for a similar problem.  I have a mailing list set up on my account - let's call it w@xxx.force9.co.uk.
Messages from me to the list (w@...) get through OK.  List administration messages (which have to be sent from the postmaster account), e.g. to w-subscribe@... or to w-list@...) generate the same error:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
    host mx-postini.core.plus.net [64.18.4.11]: 571 Message Refused

Would appreciate it if you could try again and report back. We've made some changes that we believe should have resolved this. I know I was unable to replicate the issue so you might have to monitor things over the next couple of days or so.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ddixon

Thanks Bob - at least for my problem, the changes seem to have sorted things out and I've closed my ticket.
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post - it is not needed in this situation. : link:rules