cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Plusnet rejected by Spamhaus

kadie

Email from Plusnet rejected by Spamhaus

Hi,
I am trying to send an email but it is getting rejected by the receiver's Spam filter:
Client host [pih-relay05.plus.net] blocked by zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=87.114.152.72
Which suggests to me the Plus.com IP address is blocked.
Reading the Spamhaus FAQ it suggests I turn on SMTP authentication in the plus.com email account setting. But if I do this then the email doesn't work...
Is there any work around for this. I am trying to sort out email for my mother in law who is trying to email her husband who is at work at sea!!!
Please help...
7 REPLIES 7
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Email from Plusnet rejected by Spamhaus

Quote from: kadie
I am trying to send an email but it is getting rejected by the receiver's Spam filter:

It might be a miss-configuration of the receivers SPAM filter..... !
The IP address that you quote 87.114.152.72 looks like the address PN has givent to your broadband connection. It is indeed on the Spamhaus Policy Block List (PBL). THE PBL is a list of addresses that should not be used to send email direct to a recipients server which included PN's dynamic customer address space.
Filters using the PBL should not look to the originating address (ie that of your machine) as seems to be the case here but at the address of the server trying to relay the mail. THats why I suspect the recipients filter set up.
PN's relays are not on the PBL!
All the above assumes that you are not running your own mail server. If you are then yuou should use a fixed IP and if its on the PBL you can get Spamhaus to remove it.
kadie

Hi,
Thanks for the quick replies. I am not using a fixed IP. Just plain 'vanilla' Plusnet email.
A bit confused but I think I will try and raise a ticket with Plusnet to start with. See what they say.
Thanks again...
lingbob
Grafter

pih-relay05.plus.net resolves to 212.159.14.132 which is not listed in any of the SpamHaus blocking lists (see attached snapshot). Looks to me like the receiver's spam filter is mis-configured and if that is the case, PN won't be interested.
Regards .....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What roadrunner and MrToast are saying is spot on. The recipient's mail server is looking up the IP address we assign you when you connect to the Internet. They shouldn't be doing this. Assuming you're using relay.plus.net as your outbound server then that's what they should be looking up instead.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulby
Grafter

Reading the Spamhaus FAQ it suggests I turn on SMTP authentication in the plus.com email account setting. But if I do this then the email doesn't work...

Did you just tick the box that says "Login using Secre Password Authentication"?  If you did, things won't work.
You need to NOT tick that box and tick (assuming it's OE you're using) "My Server Requires Authentcation" under "Outgoing Mail Server".  Next to that box there is a settings button.  On the page brought up by clicking that button you need to enter your PlusNet username and password (the same as for logging in to the Member Centre) by clicking the "log on using" radio button and filling in the boxes.
However, this is unlikely to solve your problem with bounced mail as it will have no effect on your IP address.
kadie

Sorry to drag this old chestnut up again. I tried the settings suggested by Paul03 but as predicted it made no difference.
I guess I need to try and see how to get this changed at the other end. Frustrating.
Or get my mother-in-law set up with a webmail account such as Yahoo or MSN I guess.
lingbob
Grafter

It's not your mail client that's mis-configured, it's the recipients'. What mail client are they using and what spam filter?
Regards .....