cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email distribution lists - size capping?

decomplexity
Rising Star

Email distribution lists - size capping?

DAK if PN put a cap on the size of distribution lists of emails sent to the SMTP servers from (e.g.) Outlook?
If so, does this vary by the type of account (e.g. Business / Home)?
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Email distribution lists - size capping?

Unless you're sending thousands and thousands of emails then you needn't worry. We send our newsletters over the relays and they typically get sent to over 250,000 recipients (albeit in batches of 20,000 or so). Whilst we would have a word in your shell-like if you were sending this many emails, there are certainly no restrictions that prevent you from doing so.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

decomplexity
Rising Star

Thanks Bob. I was asking for a colleague who uses BT Connect's Business Email Plus   - BT's SME business offering which appears to cap distribution lists at 50 ! (which I didn't believe until I checked).
I shall suggest he asks BT for a MAC and migrates in PN's direction...
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bob,
There is a limit on the number of addresses somewhere in the PN email infrastructure.  I recently tried to send an email to 100+ people via the web mail interface and repeatedly got a "Too many addressees" error.  I found that the maximum number of addressees to be 30.  Crazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder if that is just a webmail limitation and it might be different for mail sent from a mail client on your PC via relay.plus.net
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I have mailed (Bcc) a group of about 50 every 2 or 3 months using Outlook Express with no problems (to my knowledge) - unless they are silently dropped  ::). I don't always get acknowlegments from them all but that is usually because they have been too lazy, but I will double check again!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: townman
There is a limit on the number of addresses somewhere in the PN email infrastructure.  I recently tried to send an email to 100+ people via the web mail interface and repeatedly got a "Too many addressees" error.  I found that the maximum number of addressees to be 30.  Crazy

As jelv has speculated, I think that might be a Webmail specific problem. If the error was received in a bounce mind you then it could be an IronPort limitation as I know there's something like this in place to prevent dictionary harvest attacks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

avisoft
Grafter

I thought there used to be a 'Tar Pit' limit of 20, over which each copy took longer and longer to send.
Is this still in place, or am I imagining it?